Our orthopaedic trauma team specializes in treating broken bones throughout the body. We provide a full array of nonoperative care for fractures. When surgery is needed, we apply advanced training in and access to leading-edge technology. We believe in a multifaceted approach to patient care in order to fully treat the problems associated with musculoskeletal injury.
Musculoskeletal injury can have long-lasting effects. For those afflicted with chronic problems from fracture or injury such as limb-length problems, deformity or the non-healing of bones, we employ the most up to date non-operative and operative techniques for treatment in order to maximize function. MedStar Washington Hospital Center also serves as a referral center for patients with chronic infection of bone, or osteomyelitis, where we work closely with our integrated team of infectious diseases specialists and plastic surgeons.
For our injured elderly patients, we have instituted the region’s only orthopaedic-geriatric trauma service, with 5 full-time geriatricians, dedicated to the total health of the acutely injured elderly patient.
Orthopaedic trauma conditions:
- Pelvic fractures
- Hip fractures
- Tibial plateau fractures
- Fractures of the distal tibia
- Acute injuries
- Injured elderly patients
- Chronic problems from fracture or injury
Orthopaedic trauma treatments:
- Bone infections
- Geriatric fracture center that provides integrated care by our orthopaedic surgeons, geriatricians and physical and occupational therapists
- Malunions and nonunions
- Pelvis and acetabulum fracture management
- Upper and lower extremity fracture management
We also specialize in correcting problems from fractures treated unsuccessfully elsewhere. These include nonhealing of the bone (nonunion) or healing of the bone in the incorrect position (malunion). Our geriatric fracture center serves the unique needs of the elderly. The center brings together our orthopaedic surgeons, geriatricians and physical and occupational therapists to provide the integrated care that elderly patients need to get back to normal function as quickly as possible.
Awards and Recognitions
- Recognized among the Best Hospitals by U.S.News & World Report in the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area for nine specialties, including orthopaedics.
- Regions only orthopaedic-geriatric trauma service dedicated to the wellbeing of the acutely injured elderly patient.