Surgery for Knee Fracture
MedStar Orthopaedic Institute offers open reduction and fixation of knee fractures in the Washington, D.C. region. Our experienced orthopedic surgeons offer you the comprehensive care you need for an effective procedure and a successful recovery. Our surgeons are fellowship-trained in trauma knee and specialize exclusively in caring for these complex injuries.
What is open reduction with internal fixation of the knee?
This treatment, also called ORIF of the knee for short, is a surgical procedure that is used to repair complex fractures in the knee joint. A knee fracture can cause an incredible amount of pain, which can continue years later if the bone does not heal correctly. When the bones that make up the knee joint breaks, or are out of alignment to the point that they cannot heal on their own, a surgeon may recommend ORIF to realign the bones and support the joint during the healing process.
What are the benefits?
The benefits of visiting MedStar Orthopaedic Institute for your ORIF knee surgery include:
- Pain relief
- Properly aligned bone healing
- Restored range of motion
- Ability to walk and perform regular activities
- High success rate for proper bone healing
What does open reduction with internal fixation of the knee involve?
ORIF of the knee surgery is broken into two parts:
- Open Reduction of the Knee – During the open reduction portion of ORIF, the broken bone is surgically repaired, as opposed to “closed reduction of the knee,” which realigns the bone without using surgery.
- Internal Fixation of the Knee – The internal fixation portion of the knee surgery refers to the use of implants to stabilize the broken bone and hold it together during recovery. Internal fixation of the knee could include the use of screws, wires, pins, rods, or other hardware that helps promote stability in the knee.
What does recovery involve?
After surgery, you may need to keep weight off of the affected leg until it has completely healed. Our orthopedists work with you one-on-one to ensure that your treatment and recovery plan meets all of your needs and promotes a quick, comfortable, and safe healing process. Depending on your individual needs, your recovery plan may include:
- Physical therapy
- Exercise therapy
- Limited use of knee
- Stretch therapy
If you believe you may need ORIF of the knee, call 202-295-0511 to schedule a consultation with one of our orthopedic specialists at MedStar Orthopaedic Institute.