Our skilled sports medicine surgical team has experience working with athletes of all ages and levels of play. We understand how common meniscal injuries are, and we will work to repair your damaged tissue—rather than remove it—whenever possible. Our goal is to get you back to your favorite activities as quickly as we can.
What is arthroscopic meniscus repair?
Meniscal tears are common injuries for athletes. If your meniscal tear does not respond well enough to non-surgical treatment, you may need surgery. At MedStar Orthopaedic Institute, we use the most advanced treatment techniques to repair and replace damaged meniscal tissues.
Why is arthroscopic meniscus repair performed?
A meniscus tear may be able to heal using conservative options, such as physical therapy and cortisone injections. However, knee surgery is often necessary if you have mechanical problems associated with your injury. You may be a good candidate for arthroscopic repair and transplantation if you suffer a meniscus tear and also:
- Cannot straighten your knee
- Cannot bend your knee
- Hear popping or clicking noises in your knee
What does surgery involve?
At MedStar Orthopaedic Institute, the advanced treatment techniques we use include:
- Arthroscopic meniscus repair – In this minimally invasive surgical procedure, we use arthroscopy, which is a camera inserted into the knee through a small incision. We then use specialized instruments to repair meniscal tears.
- Partial meniscectomy – This is a surgical procedure that removes part of a damaged meniscus.
- Meniscus replacement – This is a surgical procedure that replaces a damaged meniscus using donor tissue. We can also replace a meniscus that was removed at a different hospital.
What does recovery involve?
After surgery, you will likely need to rest your knee and slowly build your strength back up through rehabilitation and physical therapy. You may also need to keep your knee in a brace as it heals. Your surgeon will review the details of your recovery with you before your surgery.
What are the benefits?
Our goal is for you to experience the following benefits after having surgery:
- Knee pain relief
- Restored range of motion
- Improved knee strength
- Speedier recovery period than traditional surgery
- Ability to return to normal activities after recovery
If you believe you may benefit from arthroscopic meniscus repair and transplantation surgery, call 202-295-0511 to schedule a consultation with one of our orthopedic specialists at MedStar Orthopaedic Institute. Our doctors have years of experience treating a wide range of knee conditions and are pleased to offer comprehensive care in the Washington, D.C. area.