Open Reduction with Internal Fixation of the Hip
MedStar Orthopaedic Institute is proud to offer open reduction with internal fixation of hip fractures. Our experienced hip surgeons offer you the comprehensive care you need for an effective procedure and a successful recovery. Our surgeons are fellowship-trained in trauma surgery and specialize exclusively in caring for traumatic injuries including hip fractures.
What is open reduction with internal fixation of the hip?
Open reduction with internal fixation of the hip, ORIF of the hip for short, is a procedure performed to repair a complex or severe hip fracture. When the hip bone has been damaged or misaligned to the point that it will not heal properly on its own, a surgeon must repair the bones manually. To do so, your surgeon will place a supportive implant into the hip area to keep the bone in the correct alignment while it heals.
What does open reduction with internal fixation of the hip involve?
The ORIF of the hip procedure is broken into two parts:
- Open Reduction of the Hip – During the open reduction portion of ORIF, an incision is made in the hip and the broken bone is realigned
- Internal Fixation of the Hip – The internal fixation portion of the hip surgery refers to the use of implants to stabilize the broken bone and hold it together. Internal fixation of the hip could include the use of screws, wires, pins, rods, or other hardware that helps promote stability in the hip.
What does open reduction with internal fixation of the hip recovery involve?
After ORIF hip surgery you may need to keep weight off of the affected leg until it has completely healed. Our orthopedists work with you one-on-one to ensure that your treatment and recovery plan meets all of your needs and promotes a quick, comfortable, and safe healing process. Depending on your individual needs, your recovery plan may include:
- Physical therapy
- Exercise therapy
- Limited use of the hip
- Stretch therapy
What are the benefits of undergoing open reduction with internal fixation of the hip?
The benefits of visiting MedStar Orthopaedic Institute for your ORIF hip surgery include:
- Hip pain relief
- Properly aligned bone healing
- Restored range of motion
- Ability to walk and perform regular activities
- High success rate for proper bone healing
Why is open reduction with internal fixation of the hip performed?
ORIF is commonly recommended for patients who have suffered a hip
If you believe you may need ORIF of the hip, call 202-295-0511 to schedule a consultation with one of our orthopedic specialists at MedStar Orthopaedic Institute.