The specialists at MedStar Orthopaedic Institute offer you the experienced, comprehensive care you need to effectively eliminate the pain caused by flat feet. Our surgeons are fellowship-trained in foot and ankle surgery and specialize exclusively in caring for conditions that affect the lower extremities.
What is flat foot surgery?
If a flat foot causes you severe pain that does not respond to non-surgical treatment, you may be a good candidate for surgery. At MedStar Orthopaedic Institute, we perform surgery for a variety of patients, including:
- Patients with congenital flat feet
- Patients with acquired flat feet
Why is flat foot surgery performed?
Surgery is used to restore your arch to the proper position if you suffer from flat feet that cause:
- Pain when walking or standing
- Shoes that fit poorly or uncomfortably
- Pain that does not go away with conservative treatment
What does surgery involve?
Depending on your exact needs, the skilled physicians at MedStar Orthopaedic Institute may use any of the following techniques:
- Osteotomy – We realign your bones to a healthy position
- Tendon transfer – We replace or lengthen a tendon
- Ligament reconstruction – We tighten or repair a ligament
- Bone fusion – We meld the bones together or remove a bone
In some cases, you may need multiple procedures. Most of the time, these procedures can all be performed in one operation.
What recovery involve?
You will likely need several weeks to recover from surgery. During that time, you will need to rest and elevate the foot before slowly beginning to bear weight on it. You will also need to wear a protective brace around your foot. We may recommend a course of physical therapy to help you regain strength and range of motion in your foot and ankle. Your orthopedic surgeon will discuss the details of your recovery with you in greater detail prior to your procedure.
What are the benefits?
Our goal is for you to experience the following benefits after surgery:
- Foot arch pain relief
- Low chance of deformity returning
- Improved balance and foot strength
- Ability to return to normal activities without pain
If you believe you may need flat foot surgery, call 202-295-0511 to schedule a consultation with one of our orthopedic specialists at MedStar Orthopaedic Institute.