Open Reduction with Internal Fixation of the Elbow
MedStar Orthopaedic Institute is proud to offer open reduction with internal fixation of the elbow. Our experienced elbow surgeons offer you the comprehensive care you need for an effective procedure and a successful recovery. Our surgeons are fellowship-trained in elbow surgery and specialize exclusively in caring for upper extremity conditions.
What is open reduction with internal fixation of the elbow?
Open reduction with internal fixation (ORIF) is a procedure used by elbow surgeons to repair complex bone fractures. When a broken bone is too damaged or misaligned to heal without surgery, your doctor may recommend this advanced procedure. During the procedure, the bones are realigned manually and held together using implanted hardware so the bone can naturally heal in the correct alignment.
What does open reduction with internal fixation of the elbow involve?
ORIF surgery is broken into two parts:
- Open Reduction of the Elbow – During the open reduction portion of ORIF, the broken bone is surgically repaired, as opposed to “closed reduction,” which realigns the bone without using surgery.
- Internal Fixation of the Elbow – The internal fixation portion of the surgery refers to the use of implants to stabilize the broken bones and hold them together. Internal fixation of the elbow could include the use of screws, wires, pins, rods, or other hardware that helps promote stability in the repaired bone.
What does ORIF elbow surgery recovery involve?
Your doctor will typically apply a splint following ORIF elbow surgery. Early elbow motion with physical therapy is often involved in the treatment plan. Most orthopedic elbow implants are designed to remain in the body permanently, even after the bone has completely healed. However, in some cases, your surgeon may recommend a second surgery to remove the implant once the bone has healed. Our orthopedists work with you one-on-one to ensure that your treatment and recovery plan meets all of your needs and promotes a quick, comfortable, and safe healing process.
What are the benefits of undergoing open reduction with internal fixation of the elbow?
The benefits of visiting MedStar Orthopaedic Institute for your ORIF elbow surgery include:
- Elbow pain relief
- Properly aligned bone healing
- Restored range of motion
- Ability to use the arm for regular activities
- High success rate for proper bone healing
Why is open reduction with internal fixation of the elbow performed?
ORIF is commonly recommended for patients who have suffered from one of the following injuries:
- Elbow trauma
- Broken bones in the elbow
- Humerus fracture
- Olecranon fracture
- Radial head or neck fracture
If you believe you may need ORIF of the elbow, call 202-295-0511 to schedule a consultation with one of our orthopedic specialists at MedStar Orthopaedic Institute. Our doctors have years of experience treating a wide range of shoulder and elbow conditions and are pleased to offer comprehensive elbow fracture care in the Washington, D.C. area.