Motion-Sparing Spinal Surgery
At MedStar Orthopaedic Institute, our doctors are fellowship-trained in treating conditions of the back and neck and have extensive experience performing spinal surgeries, including motion-sparing spinal surgery. We offer comprehensive and personalized care in the D.C. region so that you have access to everything you need for a safe and successful recovery.
What is motion-sparing spinal surgery?
The spine surgeons at MedStar Orthopaedic Institute have unique expertise in a new, highly effective surgical technique called motion-sparing spinal surgery.
Traditionally, surgeons treated conditions that put pressure on the spinal cord and related nerves with fusion surgery. Fusion surgery merges the vertebrae causing your problem, which relieves pain and pressure but also restricts your ability to move. Motion-sparing spinal surgery gives you the best of both worlds–it relieves pressure on your spinal cord and preserves your range of motion without having to fuse the affected area.
Why is motion-sparing spinal surgery performed?
This surgical technique is effective for a range of conditions, including:
What does this surgery involve?
Motion-Sparing Neck Surgeries
Our orthopedic team uses motion-sparing techniques in several advanced cervical spine (neck) surgeries, including:
- Cervical artificial disc replacement – In this procedure, we release pressure on the nerves in your neck without affecting your range of motion. This procedure offers you a faster return to your normal lifestyle, with fewer restrictions on your activities soon after surgery.
- Cervical laminoplasty – Laminoplasty takes the pressure off your spinal cord caused by cervical spinal stenosis without limiting your ability to turn and move your neck following surgery. MedStar Orthopaedic Institute is one of the only group in the area that offers this advanced procedure.
Motion-Sparing Back Surgeries
MedStar Orthopaedic Institute offers an advanced, motion-sparing lumbar spine (back) surgery:
- Lumbar artificial disc replacement – During this procedure, your surgeon will remove a problematic disc (often the result of disc herniation or degenerative disc disease) and replace it with an artificial disc.
What are the benefits?
Visiting MedStar Orthopaedic Institute for motion-sparing lumbar or cervical spine surgery may offer the following benefits:
- Neck and back pain relief
- Faster recovery time
- Less scarring
- Less blood loss during surgery
- Restored range of motion
- Ability to return to physical activities
If you believe you may need motion-sparing spinal surgery, call 202-295-0511 to schedule a consultation with one of our orthopedic specialists at MedStar Orthopaedic Institute. Our doctors have years of experience treating a wide range of neck and back conditions and are pleased to offer comprehensive spine care in the Washington, D.C. area.