Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
At MedStar Orthopaedic Institute, our spine surgeons are fellowship-trained and highly experienced in performing a variety of minimally invasive spine surgeries (MISS), which mean smaller incisions, less blood loss, and a faster recovery. Our team is able to treat a wide spectrum of spinal conditions using the latest computer-assisted techniques. Our goal is to get you back to doing the activities you love as quickly and safely as possible.
What is minimally invasive spine surgery (MISS)?
Minimally invasive spine surgery, or MISS, is an alternative surgical option for patients suffering from a spinal disorder, such as degenerative disc disease, herniated discs, scoliosis, or spinal stenosis. Advanced technologies paired with innovative surgical techniques allow these minimally invasive spinal surgeries to repair the spine with reduced risk and decreased recovery time.
Why is minimally invasive spine surgery performed?
Eight out of ten Americans experience neck or back pain at some point in their lives. If this happens, you want the best specialists and treatments available. MedStar Orthopaedic Institute has experienced, fellowship-trained spine specialists who diagnose and treat a variety of complex conditions related to the spine and back, including:
What does minimally invasive spine surgery involve?
Spine surgery can involve the neck or back, each of which has specific techniques and procedures that vary depending on the condition and location. Some of the most common minimally invasive spinal surgeries are listed below.
Minimally Invasive Neck Surgeries
Some of the minimally invasive neck surgeries that are most commonly performed at MedStar Orthopaedic Institute include the following:
- Cervical discectomy and foraminotomy – This is a procedure that widens the tunnel (foramen) in the cervical (neck) spine where nerve roots leave the spinal canal. The foraminotomy is combined with a discectomy to remove any material that is pressing on a nerve root or the spinal cord
Minimally Invasive Back Surgeries
The following minimally invasive back surgeries are commonly performed at MedStar Orthopaedic Institute:
- Lumbar discectomy – The spine is made up of vertebrae, and in between each pair of vertebrae is a protective padding known as a disc. Deterioration of a disc can occur as a result of a herniated disc or degenerative disc disease. A discectomy is the surgical removal of material that is pressing on a nerve root or the spinal cord due to a herniated or bulging disc in the lumbar spine (lower back).
- Lumbar laminectomy – The structures that cause compression of the nerves in spinal stenosis can be removed minimally invasively
- Lumbar Fusion- when a fusion is needed due to severe back pain, instability in the back, or scoliosis, minimally invasive fusion techniques can be used to minimize the risk and severity of the recovery.
What are the benefits of undergoing minimally invasive spine surgery?
Minimally invasive spine surgery at MedStar Orthopaedic Institute involves the use of smaller incisions that minimize damage to the surrounding muscles and ligaments of the spine. When compared to traditional surgery, these less invasive surgeries allow for the following benefits:
- Faster recovery times
- Reduced infection and blood loss
- Faster return to your regular lifestyle
- Smaller incisions
- Less scarring
- Less blood loss during surgery
- Restored range of motion
If you believe you may need minimally invasive spine surgery, call 202-295-0511 to schedule a consultation with one of our orthopedic specialists at MedStar Orthopaedic Institute. Our doctors have years of experience treating a wide range of neck and back conditions and are pleased to offer comprehensive spine care in the Washington, D.C. area.