Wiemi Abell Douoguih, MD
Dr. Douoguih is a member of the MedStar Orthopaedic Institute and performs surgery at our MedStar Washington Hospital Center location.
Wiemi Douoguih, MD, an orthopaedic surgeon, serves as Director of Sports Medicine for MedStar Washington Hospital Center’s Department of Orthopaedic Surgery.
He is a graduate of Washington and Lee University in Lexington, VA and the Medical College of Virginia in Richmond. Dr. Douoguih is an alumnus of the Union Memorial Residency Program.
Dr. Douoguih serves as Head Team Physician for the Washington Wizards. He also serves as Team Physician for the United States Judo Team, and is a consultant for the University of Maryland athletic teams (NCAA). He is board-certified in orthopaedic surgery, and completed a sports fellowship at the prestigious Kerlan-Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic in Los Angeles. Dr. Douoguih has also served as team physician for the Washington Nationals, and as assistant team physician for the Washington Redskins, Los Angeles Lakers, Los Angeles Dodgers, Los Angeles Kings, Anaheim Angels, and Anaheim Mighty Ducks, as well as for the teams of Loyola Marymount University.
Dr. Douoguih specializes in arthroscopic surgery of the shoulder, elbow and knee, with a particular emphasis on new and emerging minimally invasive reconstructive surgical procedures.
Dr. Douoguih is a 2016 Washingtonian Top Doctor for Sports Medicine.
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, Orthopaedic Sports Medicine
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, Orthopaedic Surgery
- Medical School Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine - 1997
- Fellowship Program Kerlan-Jobe Orthopedic Clinic - 2003
- Internship Program MedStar Union Memorial Hospital at Baltimore - 1998
- Residency Program MedStar Union Memorial Hospital at Baltimore - 2002
- Articular Cartilage Damage (Knee)
- Sports-Related Knee Pain
- Knee Pain
- Meniscus Injuries
- ACL/Ligament Injuries
- Sports-Related Elbow Injuries
- Ulnar Nerve Compression
- Tennis Elbow & Tendonitis
- Elbow Arthritis
- Traumatic Elbow Injuries
- Frozen Shoulder
- Shoulder Pain, Instability and Dislocations
- Rotator Cuff Injuries
- Proximal Humerus Fracture/ Shoulder Fracture
- Shoulder Labrum Tear
- Sports-Related Hip Pain
Cutting-Edge ACL Repair Puts Patients Back on Top Quickly
My Path to Orthopedic Sports Medicine with Dr.Wiemi Douoguih
Ice Hockey Player Returns to the Game After ACL Repair
MedStar Health Providers participate with a wide range of health insurance products. We accept self-pay patients and the insurances plans listed below. This list is not comprehensive, it is updated periodically and is subject to change. If you do not see your health insurance plan or product listed, or if you have any questions regarding MedStar Health’s participation with your health plan, please contact your health plan to verify participation with our providers.
Since the MedStar Health providers span the District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia regions, our participation with DC, Maryland and Virginia Medical Assistance programs varies by provider group. Please contact your MedStar Physician’s Office to assist with verifying Medical Assistance participation. If you are enrolled in a Medicaid Managed Care Organization, please contact your Medicaid health plan to verify participation.Insurance Plans Accepted
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - OneNet PPO, Inc.
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Options (PPO) (includes Empire PPO, GEHA, Compass Rose)
- PRIVATE HEALTHCARE SYSTEMS, INC. (PHCS) - Private Health Care Systems (PHCS) (PPO)
- CAREFIRST - Blue Choice Advantage & Healthy Blue (HMO, POS)
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry Health Care National Network PPO
- AETNA - Aetna Worker's Compensation Network
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - Mamsi Life & Health (Indem./PPO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - Optimum Choice Preferred (POS) & OCI Direct (HMO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - M.D. IPA Preferred (POS)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - M.D. IPA (HMO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Student Resources
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Choice Plus
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Select Plus (POS)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Select HMO - EPO/NPP
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Core Essential (HMO)
- MEDSTAR MEDICARE CHOICE - MedStar Medicare Choice
- MEDSTAR SELECT - MedStar Select (MedStar Associates' Plan)
- MEDSTAR FAMILY CHOICE - MedStar Family Choice - Maryland Health Choice
- TRICARE - Tricare for Life (Medicare Supplemental Plan)
- TRICARE - Tricare Extra (Indemnity)
- TRICARE - Tricare Standard
- TRICARE - Tricare Prime
- FIRST HEALTH (NOW COVENTRY) - FIRST HEALTH
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - First Health PPO
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry of Delaware HMO/PPO
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry Health Care of Virginia
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA Indemnity
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - Great-West Healthcare POS/CIGNA
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA POS/Network POS
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA HMO & Network (HMO)
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS (NCA) Indemnity
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Maryland Indemnity or PPO
- CAREFIRST - HealthyBlue PPO
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Federal Employee Program (Std. & Basic PPO)
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Maryland Point of Service Plan (MPOS)
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Blue Choice Opt Out Plus Open Access (POS)
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS BlueChoice HMO
- AETNA - Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO Plans
- AETNA - Innovation Health: Indemnity
- AETNA - Innovation Health: PPO
- AETNA - Aetna Student Health Insurance
- AETNA - Innovation Health: POS Plus
- AETNA - Innovation Health: Open Network Only Plus
- AETNA - Aetna USAccess (POS)
- AETNA - Aetna Quality Point of Service (POS)
- AETNA - Aetna Elect Choice/ EPO (Aetna Health Fund) Innovation Health: Network Only Plus
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Compass (HMO)
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - POS OA & OA Plus
- AETNA - Open EPO Plus
- AETNA - Open POS II
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - Choice Fund PPO
- AETNA - Aetna Innovations: HMO & EPO Plus
Contact Us by Phone
Our providers are available to diagnose and treat a wide range of orthopedic and sports medicine injuries. To request an appointment by phone, please call (855) 788-6464. , Monday-Friday, 8a.m. to 6p.m.
If this is an emergency, please call 911 immediately for assistance.
Your privacy is important to us. All information you provide is 100% confidential.