Steven James Svoboda, MD
Colonel (retired) Steven Svoboda, MD is a board-certified orthopaedic surgeon with a sub-specialty certification in orthopedic sports medicine by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery. Dr. Svoboda is associated with MedStar Georgetown University Hospital and MedStar Washington Hospital Center and serves as a team physician for the NHL’s Washington Capitals, NBA’s Washington Wizards, and Prince George’s County High Schools.
Dr. Svoboda practices at the MedStar Orthopaedic and Sports Center at Lafayette Centre, where he works to build a better healthcare environment in the Washington, D.C. area. Joining MedStar after a 23-year military career, with the last 10 years at the United States Military Academy at West Point’s Keller Army Community Hospital, Dr. Svoboda seeks to apply what he has learned caring for American soldiers to the community in the District, Maryland, and Virginia.
An accomplished clinician-scientist, Dr. Svoboda firmly believes that evidence-based outcomes assessment of patient care is essential to improving orthopaedic sports medicine care. Dr. Svoboda serves as the Director of Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Research at MedStar Health at Lafayette Centre. He is helping to lead MedStar Health’s efforts in patient-reported outcomes assessment within the orthopaedic sports medicine domain.
A native of Bowie, MD, Dr. Svoboda attended the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York, where upon graduation, he was awarded a Bachelor of Science degree and commissioned as an officer in the United States Army. He graduated from medical school at the University of Maryland, School of Medicine, in Baltimore. Dr. Svoboda completed a Transitional Internship at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, in Washington, D.C., Orthopaedic Surgery Residency at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, in Washington, D.C., and a Fellowship in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine at the COL John A. Feagin, Jr. Sports Medicine Fellowship in West Point.
Dr. Svoboda’s research regarding major knee joint injuries in the athletic population of Cadets at the United States Military Academy has won the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine O’Donoghue Award for Sports Injury Prevention and has received multiple United States patents. While leading the John A. Feagin Sports Medicine Fellowship at West Point, Dr. Svoboda was also the site Principal Investigator on the NCAA-DoD Grand Alliance CARE Consortium studies on concussion in college-level athletes.
During his military career, Dr. Svoboda served as Chief of Orthopaedic Sports Medicine, Brooke Army Medical Center and the Director of Orthopaedic Research, US Army Institute for Surgical Research, both located at Fort Sam in Houston, Texas, from 2005-2007. He was the Program Director of the COL John A. Feagin, Jr. Sports Medicine Fellowship, the Department of Defense’s only program of this type, at West Point from 2009 to 2017. In that role, he was responsible for training all of the Orthopaedic Sports Medicine sub-specialists in the US Army.
Dr. Svoboda is a member of the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM) Fellowship Accreditation Task Force and its Enduring Education Committee, and the Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA) Advocacy Committee. He is also a reviewer for the American Journal of Sports Medicine, the Orthopaedic Journal of Sports Medicine, and the Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery.
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, Orthopaedic Sports Medicine
- Medical School University of Maryland School of Medicine - 1995
- Fellowship Program Keller Army Community Hospital - 2005
- Residency Program Walter Reed National Military Medical Center - 2002
- Internship Program Walter Reed National Military Medical Center - 1996
- Medical School University of Maryland School of Dentistry - 1995
- Sports-Related Knee Pain
- Articular Cartilage Damage (Knee)
- ACL and Ligament Injuries
- Meniscus Injuries
- Knee Pain
- Tennis Elbow & Tendonitis
- Ulnar Nerve Compression
- Sports-Related Elbow Injuries
- Shoulder Pain, Instability and Dislocations
- Frozen Shoulder
- Traumatic Elbow Injuries
- Elbow Arthritis
- Proximal Humerus (Shoulder) Fracture
- Rotator Cuff Injuries
- Shoulder Labrum Tear
- Sports-Related Hip Pain
MedStar Health Providers participate with a wide range of health insurance products. We accept self-pay patients and the insurances plans listed below. This list is not comprehensive, it is updated periodically and is subject to change. If you do not see your health insurance plan or product listed, or if you have any questions regarding MedStar Health’s participation with your health plan, please contact your health plan to verify participation with our providers.
Since the MedStar Health providers span the District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia regions, our participation with DC, Maryland and Virginia Medical Assistance programs varies by provider group. Please contact your MedStar Physician’s Office to assist with verifying Medical Assistance participation. If you are enrolled in a Medicaid Managed Care Organization, please contact your Medicaid health plan to verify participation.Insurance Plans Accepted
- AETNA - Aetna Innovations: HMO & EPO Plus
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - Choice Fund PPO
- AETNA - Open POS II
- AETNA - Open EPO Plus
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - POS OA & OA Plus
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Compass (HMO)
- AETNA - Aetna Elect Choice/ EPO (Aetna Health Fund) Innovation Health: Network Only Plus
- AETNA - Aetna Quality Point of Service (POS)
- AETNA - Aetna USAccess (POS)
- AETNA - Innovation Health: Open Network Only Plus
- AETNA - Innovation Health: POS Plus
- AETNA - Aetna Student Health Insurance
- AETNA - Innovation Health: PPO
- AETNA - Innovation Health: Indemnity
- AETNA - Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO Plans
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS BlueChoice HMO
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Blue Choice Opt Out Plus Open Access (POS)
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Maryland Point of Service Plan (MPOS)
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Federal Employee Program (Std. & Basic PPO)
- CAREFIRST - HealthyBlue PPO
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Maryland Indemnity or PPO
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS (NCA) Indemnity
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA HMO & Network (HMO)
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA POS/Network POS
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - Great-West Healthcare POS/CIGNA
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA Indemnity
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry Health Care of Virginia
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry of Delaware HMO/PPO
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - First Health PPO
- FIRST HEALTH (NOW COVENTRY) - FIRST HEALTH
- TRICARE - Tricare Prime
- TRICARE - Tricare Standard
- TRICARE - Tricare Extra (Indemnity)
- TRICARE - Tricare for Life (Medicare Supplemental Plan)
- MEDSTAR FAMILY CHOICE - MedStar Family Choice - Maryland Health Choice
- MEDSTAR SELECT - MedStar Select (MedStar Associates' Plan)
- MEDSTAR MEDICARE CHOICE - MedStar Medicare Choice
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Core Essential (HMO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Select HMO - EPO/NPP
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Select Plus (POS)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Choice Plus
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Student Resources
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - M.D. IPA (HMO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - M.D. IPA Preferred (POS)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - Optimum Choice Preferred (POS) & OCI Direct (HMO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - Mamsi Life & Health (Indem./PPO)
- AETNA - Aetna Worker's Compensation Network
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry Health Care National Network PPO
- CAREFIRST - Blue Choice Advantage & Healthy Blue (HMO, POS)
- PRIVATE HEALTHCARE SYSTEMS, INC. (PHCS) - Private Health Care Systems (PHCS) (PPO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Options (PPO) (includes Empire PPO, GEHA, Compass Rose)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - OneNet PPO, Inc.
Contact Us by Phone
Our providers are available to diagnose and treat a wide range of orthopedic and sports medicine injuries. To request an appointment by phone, please call (855) 788-6464. , Monday-Friday, 8a.m. to 6p.m.
If this is an emergency, please call 911 immediately for assistance.
Your privacy is important to us. All information you provide is 100% confidential.