Seyed Babak Kalantar, MD
Seyed Babak Kalantar, MD, is a member of the MedStar Orthopaedic Institute and performs surgery at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital. Dr. Kalantar is the chief of the Division of Spine Surgery in the Department of Orthopaedics and the Co-Director of MedStar Spine Center.
Dr. Kalantar became a spine surgeon to help patients with debilitating pain or lack of function return to the highest quality of living possible. In addition to performing surgery, Dr. Kalantar guides patients before surgery, offering as much time and information as patients need to make decisions about the best treatment. He also guides patients after surgery to help them recover to their full potential.
In addition to English, Dr. Kalantar also speaks Spanish and Farsi.
Dr. Kalantar is a 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019 Washingtonian Top Doctor for Spinal Surgery. He is also a 2017, 2018 and 2019 Northern Virginia Magazine Top Doctor for Spinal Surgery, and a Findatopdoc.com Top Doctor 2018.
Learn about minimally invasive spine surgery.
Professional Society Memberships
- Advocacy Committee, North American Spine Society
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society
- Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society
- Society of Lateral Access Surgeons
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, Orthopaedic Surgery
- Fellowship Program Emory University Hospital - 2010
- Medical School Eastern Virginia Medical School - 2004
- Internship/Residency Baylor College of Medicine Affiliated Hospitals - 2009
Spine Surgery & Orthopaedics: Ask Dr. Bobby Kalantar
MedStar Health Providers participate with a wide range of health insurance products. We accept self-pay patients and the insurances plans listed below. This list is not comprehensive, it is updated periodically and is subject to change. If you do not see your health insurance plan or product listed, or if you have any questions regarding MedStar Health’s participation with your health plan, please contact your health plan to verify participation with our providers.
Since the MedStar Health providers span the District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia regions, our participation with DC, Maryland and Virginia Medical Assistance programs varies by provider group. Please contact your MedStar Physician’s Office to assist with verifying Medical Assistance participation. If you are enrolled in a Medicaid Managed Care Organization, please contact your Medicaid health plan to verify participation.Insurance Plans Accepted
- PRIVATE HEALTHCARE SYSTEMS, INC. (PHCS) - Private Health Care Systems (PHCS) (PPO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Options (PPO) (includes Empire PPO, GEHA, Compass Rose)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - OneNet PPO, Inc.
- CAREFIRST - Blue Choice Advantage & Healthy Blue (HMO, POS)
- AETNA - Aetna Elect Choice/ EPO (Aetna Health Fund) Innovation Health: Network Only Plus
- AETNA - Innovation Health: POS Plus
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - M.D. IPA (HMO)
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - Choice Fund PPO
- AETNA - Open EPO Plus
- AETNA - Innovation Health: PPO
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Student Resources
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA Indemnity
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Compass (HMO)
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS BlueChoice HMO
- TRICARE - Tricare for Life (Medicare Supplemental Plan)
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - First Health PPO
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - Optimum Choice Preferred (POS) & OCI Direct (HMO)
- TRICARE - Tricare Extra (Indemnity)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - M.D. IPA Preferred (POS)
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Maryland Point of Service Plan (MPOS)
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry of Delaware HMO/PPO
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry Health Care of Virginia
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Select HMO - EPO/NPP
- MEDSTAR MEDICARE CHOICE - MedStar Medicare Choice
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA HMO & Network (HMO)
- AETNA - Aetna Student Health Insurance
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - Great-West Healthcare POS/CIGNA
- MEDSTAR FAMILY CHOICE - MedStar Family Choice - Maryland Health Choice
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA POS/Network POS
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Select Plus (POS)
- AETNA - Aetna Innovations: HMO & EPO Plus
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Maryland Indemnity or PPO
- AETNA - Aetna USAccess (POS)
- AETNA - Open POS II
- AETNA - Innovation Health: Indemnity
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS (NCA) Indemnity
- AETNA - Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO Plans
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Blue Choice Opt Out Plus Open Access (POS)
- FIRST HEALTH (NOW COVENTRY) - FIRST HEALTH
- AETNA - Innovation Health: Open Network Only Plus
- AETNA - Aetna Worker's Compensation Network
- CAREFIRST - HealthyBlue PPO
- AETNA - Aetna Quality Point of Service (POS)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Core Essential (HMO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Choice Plus
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - Mamsi Life & Health (Indem./PPO)
- MEDSTAR SELECT - MedStar Select (MedStar Associates' Plan)
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry Health Care National Network PPO
- TRICARE - Tricare Prime
- TRICARE - Tricare Standard
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - POS OA & OA Plus
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Federal Employee Program (Std. & Basic PPO)
Contact Us by Phone
Our providers are available to diagnose and treat a wide range of orthopedic and sports medicine injuries. To request an appointment by phone, please call (855) 788-6464. , Monday-Friday, 8a.m. to 6p.m.
If this is an emergency, please call 911 immediately for assistance.
Your privacy is important to us. All information you provide is 100% confidential.