Savyasachi C. Thakkar, MD
Savyasachi Thakkar, MD, is an American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery certified orthopaedic surgeon at the MedStar Washington Hospital Center and the MedStar Georgetown University Hospital. He also peforms same-day total joint surgery at the MedStar Surgery Center in Brandywine, Maryland. He is a member of the Maryland Orthopaedic Association, the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, the International Congress for Joint Reconstruction, the AO Foundation, and the American Association of Hip & Knee Surgeons.
Dr. Thakkar specializes in the treatment of hip and knee arthritis, and fractures associated with hip and knee joints. His treatment methods include knee arthroscopy, partial and total knee replacement, partial and total hip replacement, and hip and knee revision surgery. Dr. Thakkar uses computer and robotic-assisted techniques for total hip and knee replacement procedures. These technologies have seen vast improvements in the past few years and they continue to evolve to provide cutting-edge care to patients with arthritis.
Dr. Thakkar’s clinical interests include surgical management of hip and knee arthritis, traumatic injuries of the hip and knee joints, and revision joint replacement surgeries. His research interests include technological advances in the treatment of arthritis, the economic impact of arthritis, and the optimization of hospital protocols for arthritis and orthopaedic trauma surgeries.
Dr. Thakkar is interested in the development of alternative bearing surfaces in joint replacement procedures, such as ceramic and different types of metals. These materials may offer a more biologically friendly option to patients and may also improve longevity of the hip and knee prostheses. He is also interested in same-day arthroplasty surgery for a selected group of healthy patients in order to minimize time spent in the hospital and maximize return to function.
Dr. Thakkar completed his undergraduate studies at the University of Rochester where he graduated magna cum laude with a degree in neuroscience. He received his medical degree from the Johns Hopkins University where he stayed and completed a residency program in orthopaedic surgery. He then completed a fellowship in adult reconstruction surgery at the New York University-Hospital for Joint Diseases before joining MedStar.
Dr. Thakkar has a deep appreciation and respect for other cultures and beliefs. He was born and raised in Mumbai, India before emigrating to the US. His international perspective has been further nurtured while training at multiple international centers in India and Switzerland. Dr. Thakkar also enjoys travelling and exploring other cultures with his wife and two children.
Philosophy of Care
I enjoy working with a wide variety of patients and physicians to try and identify and treat arthritis. My goal is to provide the most technically sound, evidence-based, and medically appropriate treatment for arthritis in adult patients.
I thoroughly enjoy combining the three cornerstones of modern medical care: teaching, research and the practice of medicine, which I was fortunate to be involved with during my medical training. I strive to provide compassionate and competent care for my patients in the community.
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, Orthopaedic Surgery
- Residency Program Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine - 2015
- Medical School Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine - 2010
- Fellowship Program Hospital for Joint Diseases - 2016
InsuranceInsurance Plans Accepted
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - OneNet PPO, Inc.
- CAREFIRST - Blue Choice Advantage & Healthy Blue (HMO, POS)
- PRIVATE HEALTHCARE SYSTEMS, INC. (PHCS) - Private Health Care Systems (PHCS) (PPO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Options (PPO) (includes Empire PPO, GEHA, Compass Rose)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Choice Plus
- AETNA - Innovation Health: POS Plus
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Select HMO - EPO/NPP
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - Optimum Choice Preferred (POS) & OCI Direct (HMO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Select Plus (POS)
- AETNA - Aetna Student Health Insurance
- AETNA - Aetna USAccess (POS)
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - Choice Fund PPO
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA Indemnity
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Core Essential (HMO)
- TRICARE - Tricare Prime
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry of Delaware HMO/PPO
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Student Resources
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - M.D. IPA Preferred (POS)
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS (NCA) Indemnity
- AETNA - Aetna Elect Choice/ EPO (Aetna Health Fund) Innovation Health: Network Only Plus
- FIRST HEALTH (NOW COVENTRY) - FIRST HEALTH
- CAREFIRST - HealthyBlue PPO
- MEDSTAR SELECT - MedStar Select (MedStar Associates' Plan)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Compass (HMO)
- AETNA - Aetna Worker's Compensation Network
- AETNA - Innovation Health: Open Network Only Plus
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Federal Employee Program (Std. & Basic PPO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - M.D. IPA (HMO)
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - First Health PPO
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - POS OA & OA Plus
- TRICARE - Tricare for Life (Medicare Supplemental Plan)
- TRICARE - Tricare Standard
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - Mamsi Life & Health (Indem./PPO)
- AETNA - Open POS II
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Blue Choice Opt Out Plus Open Access (POS)
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry Health Care National Network PPO
- MEDSTAR MEDICARE CHOICE - MedStar Medicare Choice
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry Health Care of Virginia
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS BlueChoice HMO
- AETNA - Innovation Health: Indemnity
- MEDSTAR FAMILY CHOICE - MedStar Family Choice - Maryland Health Choice
- AETNA - Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO Plans
- AETNA - Aetna Quality Point of Service (POS)
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Maryland Indemnity or PPO
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA POS/Network POS
- AETNA - Aetna Innovations: HMO & EPO Plus
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - Great-West Healthcare POS/CIGNA
- AETNA - Open EPO Plus
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Maryland Point of Service Plan (MPOS)
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA HMO & Network (HMO)
- TRICARE - Tricare Extra (Indemnity)
- AETNA - Innovation Health: PPO
Contact Us by Phone
Our providers are available to diagnose and treat a wide range of orthopedic and sports medicine injuries. To request an appointment by phone, please call (855) 788-6464. , Monday-Friday, 8a.m. to 6p.m.
If this is an emergency, please call 911 immediately for assistance.
Your privacy is important to us. All information you provide is 100% confidential.