Sam W. Wiesel, MD
Dr. Wiesel is chair of Orthopaedic Surgery at MedStar Georgetown University, and a professor and chairman of the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at Georgetown University School of Medicine, a position he’s held since 1989. He specializes in treating patients with spinal conditions affecting the neck and lower back.
In addition to patient care, Dr. Wiesel is heavily involved in training the next generation of orthopaedic specialists through his academic and clinical appointments, earning many recognitions for his teaching abilities along the way. He is equally committed to advancing the field through his work with major peer-reviewed publications and professional medical societies. Chief among them are his longstanding positions as Editor-in-Chief, Seminars in Spine Surgery, (Saunders); Executive Editor, The Back Letter (Lippincott Williams & Wilkins); and Member, Board of Editors, Spine. Most recently, Dr. Wiesel served as senior editor for the second edition of Operative Techniques in Orthopaedic Surgery, a four-volume instructional manual released in 2016.
An active researcher, Dr. Wiesel has presented at many national and international conferences, and published widely with many academic articles, books and chapters to his credit.
Dr. Wiesel’s Philosophy of Care
Throughout my career, I have focused on treating my patients as if they were members of my family. No matter what type of spinal disorder someone may have, my mission is always the same: Isolate the the problem, find the right diagnosis, and then come up with the most appropriate therapy to fix it. While surgery may be the ultimate answer, I always try the most conservative approach first.
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, Orthopaedic Surgery
- Medical School University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine -
- Residency Program University of Pennsylvania Hospitals - 1976
MedStar Health Providers participate with a wide range of health insurance products. We accept self-pay patients and the insurances plans listed below. This list is not comprehensive, it is updated periodically and is subject to change. If you do not see your health insurance plan or product listed, or if you have any questions regarding MedStar Health’s participation with your health plan, please contact your health plan to verify participation with our providers.
Since the MedStar Health providers span the District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia regions, our participation with DC, Maryland and Virginia Medical Assistance programs varies by provider group. Please contact your MedStar Physician’s Office to assist with verifying Medical Assistance participation. If you are enrolled in a Medicaid Managed Care Organization, please contact your Medicaid health plan to verify participation.Insurance Plans Accepted
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Options (PPO) (includes Empire PPO, GEHA, Compass Rose)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - OneNet PPO, Inc.
- PRIVATE HEALTHCARE SYSTEMS, INC. (PHCS) - Private Health Care Systems (PHCS) (PPO)
- CAREFIRST - Blue Choice Advantage & Healthy Blue (HMO, POS)
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry Health Care National Network PPO
- AETNA - Aetna Worker's Compensation Network
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - Mamsi Life & Health (Indem./PPO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - Optimum Choice Preferred (POS) & OCI Direct (HMO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - M.D. IPA Preferred (POS)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - M.D. IPA (HMO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Student Resources
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Choice Plus
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Select Plus (POS)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Select HMO - EPO/NPP
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Core Essential (HMO)
- MEDSTAR MEDICARE CHOICE - MedStar Medicare Choice
- MEDSTAR SELECT - MedStar Select (MedStar Associates' Plan)
- MEDSTAR FAMILY CHOICE - MedStar Family Choice - Maryland Health Choice
- TRICARE - Tricare for Life (Medicare Supplemental Plan)
- TRICARE - Tricare Extra (Indemnity)
- TRICARE - Tricare Standard
- TRICARE - Tricare Prime
- FIRST HEALTH (NOW COVENTRY) - FIRST HEALTH
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - First Health PPO
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry of Delaware HMO/PPO
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry Health Care of Virginia
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA Indemnity
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - Great-West Healthcare POS/CIGNA
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA POS/Network POS
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA HMO & Network (HMO)
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS (NCA) Indemnity
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Maryland Indemnity or PPO
- CAREFIRST - HealthyBlue PPO
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Federal Employee Program (Std. & Basic PPO)
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Maryland Point of Service Plan (MPOS)
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Blue Choice Opt Out Plus Open Access (POS)
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS BlueChoice HMO
- AETNA - Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO Plans
- AETNA - Innovation Health: Indemnity
- AETNA - Innovation Health: PPO
- AETNA - Aetna Student Health Insurance
- AETNA - Innovation Health: POS Plus
- AETNA - Innovation Health: Open Network Only Plus
- AETNA - Aetna USAccess (POS)
- AETNA - Aetna Quality Point of Service (POS)
- AETNA - Aetna Elect Choice/ EPO (Aetna Health Fund) Innovation Health: Network Only Plus
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Compass (HMO)
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - POS OA & OA Plus
- AETNA - Open EPO Plus
- AETNA - Open POS II
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - Choice Fund PPO
- AETNA - Aetna Innovations: HMO & EPO Plus
Contact Us by Phone
Our providers are available to diagnose and treat a wide range of orthopedic and sports medicine injuries. To request an appointment by phone, please call (855) 788-6464. , Monday-Friday, 8a.m. to 6p.m.
If this is an emergency, please call 911 immediately for assistance.
Your privacy is important to us. All information you provide is 100% confidential.