Robert Mikael Henshaw, MD
Robert Henshaw, MD, is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon specializing in oncologic oncology, a field dedicated to the diagnosis and treatment of musculoskeletal tumors. Such tumors are rare and include a wide variety of benign and malignant diseases such as bone sarcomas (such as osteosarcoma, chondrosarcoma, Ewing’s sarcoma), soft tissue sarcomas (such as synovial sarcoma, liposarcoma, malignant fibrous histiocytoma), as well as metastatic cancers affecting the extremities. As these diseases can occur at any age, Dr Henshaw routinely treats pediatric and adult patients, having operated on over 4000 tumor patients in Washington, D.C. Dr. Henshaw sees and treats patients from the entire mid-Atlantic region, along with referred patients from around the country and the world.
As an expert in limb salvage surgery, Dr Henshaw has introduces a variety of novel and cutting edge techniques and technology to the region. He specializes in minimally invasive biopsies, routinely using advanced diagnostic techniques to ensure proper diagnosis and staging of each patient. As leader of a dedicated multidisciplinary team of physicians, Dr. Henshaw creates personalized treatment plans for every patient in order to ensure the best possible functional and oncologic outcomes.
Dr. Henshaw is a professor of clinical orthopedics (orthopedic oncology) at Georgetown University and serves in a number of roles with MedStar Health, including vice chairman of orthopedic surgery at MedStar Washington Hospital Center, chief of orthopaedic oncology at MedStar Georgetown Orthopaedics Institute and director of orthopaedic oncology of the Washington Cancer Institute. In addition, he is the director of orthopedic oncology at Children’s National Medical Center, and is director of the musculoskeletal fellowship program at Georgetown University and is a consultant to the surgical branch of the National Cancer Institute.
Dr. Henshaw has published or presented his research over 200 times. He’s recognized as a top expert in orthopaedic oncology and listed as a “Top Doctor” by Castle Connolly and “Best Doctors in America” on www.bestdoctors.com. He is a member of the Musculoskeletal Tumor Society, Connective Tissue Oncology Society, American Society of Clinical Oncology, American Orthopedic Association, as well as a fellow of the American Association of Orthopedic Surgeons.
Before studying medicine, Dr. Henshaw trained as a mechanical engineer at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), working at the Orthopedic Research Laboratory at Massachusetts General Hospital. After completing medical school at Tufts University, he trained as a resident in orthopedic surgery at UCLA, coming to Washington, D.C., for his fellowship. Now in his 25th year in D.C., he lives with his family in Alexandria, VA.
Dr. Henshaw was the first surgeon in the Washington-Baltimore area to use the Repiphysis, a non-invasive expandable prosthesis for children with bone cancer. He was the first surgeon in the world to perform a specialized reconstruction of the femur using a custom-designed metal implant to replace the bone between the hip and knee, sparing both joints as well as the growth plates, allowing the bone to grow normally as the patient ages. He has introduced minimally invasive techniques for bone biopsy as well as radiofrequency ablation for bone tumors, and specializes in cryosurgical ablation of bone tumors. Dr Henshaw has helped design multiple custom implants using 3D printed technology for unique skeletal reconstructions following tumor resection. He is also the primary investigator for a number of ongoing clinical trials for musculoskeletal tumors based at MedStar Health.
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, Orthopaedic Surgery
- Fellowship Program MedStar Washington Hospital Center - 1997
- Internship Program University of California at Los Angeles Medical Ct - 1991
- Residency Program University of California at Los Angeles Medical Ct - 1995
- Medical School Tufts University School of Medicine - 1990
- Internship Program University of California Los Angeles - 1991
- Residency Program University of California Los Angeles - 1995
Innovative Tool Helps Remove Challenging Cancerous Tumor from Medical Resident
MedStar Health Providers participate with a wide range of health insurance products. We accept self-pay patients and the insurances plans listed below. This list is not comprehensive, it is updated periodically and is subject to change. If you do not see your health insurance plan or product listed, or if you have any questions regarding MedStar Health’s participation with your health plan, please contact your health plan to verify participation with our providers.
Since the MedStar Health providers span the District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia regions, our participation with DC, Maryland and Virginia Medical Assistance programs varies by provider group. Please contact your MedStar Physician’s Office to assist with verifying Medical Assistance participation. If you are enrolled in a Medicaid Managed Care Organization, please contact your Medicaid health plan to verify participation.Insurance Plans Accepted
- AETNA - Aetna Innovations: HMO & EPO Plus
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - Choice Fund PPO
- AETNA - Open POS II
- AETNA - Open EPO Plus
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - POS OA & OA Plus
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Compass (HMO)
- AETNA - Aetna Elect Choice/ EPO (Aetna Health Fund) Innovation Health: Network Only Plus
- AETNA - Aetna Quality Point of Service (POS)
- AETNA - Aetna USAccess (POS)
- AETNA - Innovation Health: Open Network Only Plus
- AETNA - Innovation Health: POS Plus
- AETNA - Aetna Student Health Insurance
- AETNA - Innovation Health: PPO
- AETNA - Innovation Health: Indemnity
- AETNA - Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO Plans
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS BlueChoice HMO
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Blue Choice Opt Out Plus Open Access (POS)
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Maryland Point of Service Plan (MPOS)
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Federal Employee Program (Std. & Basic PPO)
- CAREFIRST - HealthyBlue PPO
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Maryland Indemnity or PPO
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS (NCA) Indemnity
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA HMO & Network (HMO)
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA POS/Network POS
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - Great-West Healthcare POS/CIGNA
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA Indemnity
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry Health Care of Virginia
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry of Delaware HMO/PPO
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - First Health PPO
- FIRST HEALTH (NOW COVENTRY) - FIRST HEALTH
- TRICARE - Tricare Prime
- TRICARE - Tricare Standard
- TRICARE - Tricare Extra (Indemnity)
- TRICARE - Tricare for Life (Medicare Supplemental Plan)
- MEDSTAR FAMILY CHOICE - MedStar Family Choice - Maryland Health Choice
- MEDSTAR SELECT - MedStar Select (MedStar Associates' Plan)
- MEDSTAR MEDICARE CHOICE - MedStar Medicare Choice
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Core Essential (HMO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Select HMO - EPO/NPP
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Select Plus (POS)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Choice Plus
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Student Resources
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - M.D. IPA (HMO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - M.D. IPA Preferred (POS)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - Optimum Choice Preferred (POS) & OCI Direct (HMO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - Mamsi Life & Health (Indem./PPO)
- AETNA - Aetna Worker's Compensation Network
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry Health Care National Network PPO
- CAREFIRST - Blue Choice Advantage & Healthy Blue (HMO, POS)
- PRIVATE HEALTHCARE SYSTEMS, INC. (PHCS) - Private Health Care Systems (PHCS) (PPO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Options (PPO) (includes Empire PPO, GEHA, Compass Rose)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - OneNet PPO, Inc.
Contact Us by Phone
Our providers are available to diagnose and treat a wide range of orthopedic and sports medicine injuries. To request an appointment by phone, please call (855) 788-6464. , Monday-Friday, 8a.m. to 6p.m.
If this is an emergency, please call 911 immediately for assistance.
Your privacy is important to us. All information you provide is 100% confidential.