Robert David Golden, MD
Robert David Golden, MD, is a member of the MedStar Orthopaedic Institute and currently serves as Chief of Orthopaedic Trauma at the MedStar Washington Hospital Center, the Washington, D.C. region’s referral center for multiple trauma and mass trauma incidents. Dr. Golden is a member of the MedSTAR Trauma Team, which provides life-saving care in major incidents such as the September 11th attacks on the Pentagon in 2001, the Navy Yard shooting in 2011, and the Congressional baseball shooting in 2017 which injured Officer Crystal Griner and Representative Steve Scalise.
As an orthopaedic trauma surgeon, Dr. Golden specializes in fracture care and other musculoskeletal injuries resulting from a traumatic injury, such as motor vehicle accidents, falls, or shootings. He also specializes in treating patients who have had a previous injury that did not correctly heal, developed an infection, or had a subsequent issue as the result of another injury.
In addition to his vast surgical expertise, Dr. Golden is committed to using cutting-edge technology to ensure the patient’s recovery is the best it can be. As every fracture is unique, Dr. Golden is able to utilize his experience, problem solving, and creative abilities to achieve the best possible outcomes.
Dr. Golden received his medical degree from the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine before joining Brigham and Women’s Hospital for an internship and residency training in general surgery. He then trained as part of the Harvard Combined Orthopaedic Surgery Program and finally, completed fellowship training at the R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center at the University of Maryland Medical Center.
When not in the Trauma Bay, Dr. Golden spends the majority of his free time with his two children. He also participates in triathlons which allow him to test his physical limits, stay in shape, and understand athletic injuries even better. He often partners with charities such as the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America for triathlons to help raise funds for research and patient care.
Dr. Golden grew up in Randallstown, MD and was a Lieutenant Firefighter and EMS Director for the College Park Volunteer Fire Department. He is an active member of the Orthopaedic Trauma Association and a clinical professor at George Washington University, as well as on the academic staff at MedStar Georgetown University. He also received the 2017 Nurses’ Choice Collaboration Award as recognition of the outstanding work he is performing.
Philosophy of Care
“I am passionate about orthopaedic trauma, as it allows me to intervene and restore the patient’s quality of life after first seeing them in the Emergency Department or Trauma Bay following one of the worst days of their life. I get the satisfaction of seeing the patient’s x-rays, after I have intervened, with the bones realigned as well as seeing their progress throughout the entire episode of care.
“I also enjoy the interdisciplinary aspect of Orthopaedic Trauma, as I often collaborate with other renowned trauma surgeons at MedStar Health in addition to the MedSTAR Trauma Team to provide life-saving care to patients. Care for the entire person is the focus and I’m proud of the services we provide.”
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, Orthopaedic Surgery
- Residency Program Brigham and Women's Hospital - 2004
- Fellowship Program Shock Trauma Center - 2009
- Internship Program Brigham and Women's Hospital - 2002
- Medical School University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine - 2001
- Residency Program Harvard Combined Orthopaedic Surgery Program - 2008
MedStar Health Providers participate with a wide range of health insurance products. We accept self-pay patients and the insurances plans listed below. This list is not comprehensive, it is updated periodically and is subject to change. If you do not see your health insurance plan or product listed, or if you have any questions regarding MedStar Health’s participation with your health plan, please contact your health plan to verify participation with our providers.
Since the MedStar Health providers span the District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia regions, our participation with DC, Maryland and Virginia Medical Assistance programs varies by provider group. Please contact your MedStar Physician’s Office to assist with verifying Medical Assistance participation. If you are enrolled in a Medicaid Managed Care Organization, please contact your Medicaid health plan to verify participation.Insurance Plans Accepted
- AETNA - Aetna Innovations: HMO & EPO Plus
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - Choice Fund PPO
- AETNA - Open POS II
- AETNA - Open EPO Plus
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - POS OA & OA Plus
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Compass (HMO)
- AETNA - Aetna Elect Choice/ EPO (Aetna Health Fund) Innovation Health: Network Only Plus
- AETNA - Aetna Quality Point of Service (POS)
- AETNA - Aetna USAccess (POS)
- AETNA - Innovation Health: Open Network Only Plus
- AETNA - Innovation Health: POS Plus
- AETNA - Aetna Student Health Insurance
- AETNA - Innovation Health: PPO
- AETNA - Innovation Health: Indemnity
- AETNA - Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO Plans
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS BlueChoice HMO
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Blue Choice Opt Out Plus Open Access (POS)
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Maryland Point of Service Plan (MPOS)
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Federal Employee Program (Std. & Basic PPO)
- CAREFIRST - HealthyBlue PPO
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Maryland Indemnity or PPO
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS (NCA) Indemnity
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA HMO & Network (HMO)
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA POS/Network POS
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - Great-West Healthcare POS/CIGNA
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA Indemnity
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry Health Care of Virginia
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry of Delaware HMO/PPO
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - First Health PPO
- FIRST HEALTH (NOW COVENTRY) - FIRST HEALTH
- TRICARE - Tricare Prime
- TRICARE - Tricare Standard
- TRICARE - Tricare Extra (Indemnity)
- TRICARE - Tricare for Life (Medicare Supplemental Plan)
- MEDSTAR FAMILY CHOICE - MedStar Family Choice - Maryland Health Choice
- MEDSTAR SELECT - MedStar Select (MedStar Associates' Plan)
- MEDSTAR MEDICARE CHOICE - MedStar Medicare Choice
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Core Essential (HMO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Select HMO - EPO/NPP
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Select Plus (POS)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Choice Plus
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Student Resources
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - M.D. IPA (HMO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - M.D. IPA Preferred (POS)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - Optimum Choice Preferred (POS) & OCI Direct (HMO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - Mamsi Life & Health (Indem./PPO)
- AETNA - Aetna Worker's Compensation Network
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry Health Care National Network PPO
- CAREFIRST - Blue Choice Advantage & Healthy Blue (HMO, POS)
- PRIVATE HEALTHCARE SYSTEMS, INC. (PHCS) - Private Health Care Systems (PHCS) (PPO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Options (PPO) (includes Empire PPO, GEHA, Compass Rose)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - OneNet PPO, Inc.
Contact Us by Phone
Our providers are available to diagnose and treat a wide range of orthopedic and sports medicine injuries. To request an appointment by phone, please call (855) 788-6464. , Monday-Friday, 8a.m. to 6p.m.
If this is an emergency, please call 911 immediately for assistance.
Your privacy is important to us. All information you provide is 100% confidential.