Oliver O. Tannous, MD
Oliver Tannous, MD, is an orthopaedic spine surgeon at MedStar Washington Hospital Center. As a spine specialist, he utilizes state-of-the-art, minimally invasive and motion preservation techniques to treat conditions of the bones, discs, and nerves of the neck and back.
His clinical focus includes disorders of the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine, ranging from isolated disc herniation to complex deformities and failed surgeries. His research interests include optimizing patient outcomes after surgery and improving techniques for eliminating postoperative spinal infections.
Dr. Tannous completed his undergraduate studies in neuroscience and behavioral biology at Emory University. He then received his medical degree from the University of Maryland School of Medicine, where he completed a residency in orthopaedic surgery. Prior to joining MedStar, he completed a fellowship in spine surgery at the University of California San Diego, a leading center for minimally invasive and complex spine surgery. His early interests in mechanics and how things are built, coupled with a degree in neuroscience, fueled his decision to become an orthopaedic spine specialist.
Dr. Tannous takes a conservative approach to spine care. He emphasizes the use of non-operative treatments before considering surgery. When surgery becomes necessary, he utilizes minimally invasive techniques in order to reduce the impact of surgery. He has extensive experience in revision spine procedures as well as correcting previously failed spine surgeries.
Philosophy of Care
“Becoming involved in the care of someone’s health is a privilege. I treat all of my patients in the same way that I would treat my family members – with compassion and respect. When nonoperative methods fail and surgery becomes necessary, I spend a lot of time with my patients, ensuring that they fully understand the surgical process. I follow them very closely while they are in the hospital, and guide them throughout the recovery process so they can get back to a healthier life as soon as possible. I feel proud when my patients tell me that they would recommend me to their family members for care.”
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, Orthopaedic Surgery
- Medical School University of Maryland School of Medicine - 2010
- Residency Program University of Maryland Medical Center - 2015
- Internship Program University of Maryland Medical Center - 2011
- Fellowship Program University of California San Diego - 2011
MedStar Health Providers participate with a wide range of health insurance products. We accept self-pay patients and the insurances plans listed below. This list is not comprehensive, it is updated periodically and is subject to change. If you do not see your health insurance plan or product listed, or if you have any questions regarding MedStar Health’s participation with your health plan, please contact your health plan to verify participation with our providers.
Since the MedStar Health providers span the District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia regions, our participation with DC, Maryland and Virginia Medical Assistance programs varies by provider group. Please contact your MedStar Physician’s Office to assist with verifying Medical Assistance participation. If you are enrolled in a Medicaid Managed Care Organization, please contact your Medicaid health plan to verify participation.Insurance Plans Accepted
- AETNA - Aetna Innovations: HMO & EPO Plus
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - Choice Fund PPO
- AETNA - Open POS II
- AETNA - Open EPO Plus
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - POS OA & OA Plus
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Compass (HMO)
- AETNA - Aetna Elect Choice/ EPO (Aetna Health Fund) Innovation Health: Network Only Plus
- AETNA - Aetna Quality Point of Service (POS)
- AETNA - Aetna USAccess (POS)
- AETNA - Innovation Health: Open Network Only Plus
- AETNA - Innovation Health: POS Plus
- AETNA - Aetna Student Health Insurance
- AETNA - Innovation Health: PPO
- AETNA - Innovation Health: Indemnity
- AETNA - Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO Plans
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS BlueChoice HMO
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Blue Choice Opt Out Plus Open Access (POS)
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Maryland Point of Service Plan (MPOS)
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Federal Employee Program (Std. & Basic PPO)
- CAREFIRST - HealthyBlue PPO
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Maryland Indemnity or PPO
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS (NCA) Indemnity
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA HMO & Network (HMO)
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA POS/Network POS
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - Great-West Healthcare POS/CIGNA
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA Indemnity
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry Health Care of Virginia
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry of Delaware HMO/PPO
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - First Health PPO
- FIRST HEALTH (NOW COVENTRY) - FIRST HEALTH
- TRICARE - Tricare Prime
- TRICARE - Tricare Standard
- TRICARE - Tricare Extra (Indemnity)
- TRICARE - Tricare for Life (Medicare Supplemental Plan)
- MEDSTAR FAMILY CHOICE - MedStar Family Choice - Maryland Health Choice
- MEDSTAR SELECT - MedStar Select (MedStar Associates' Plan)
- MEDSTAR MEDICARE CHOICE - MedStar Medicare Choice
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Core Essential (HMO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Select HMO - EPO/NPP
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Select Plus (POS)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Choice Plus
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Student Resources
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - M.D. IPA (HMO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - M.D. IPA Preferred (POS)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - Optimum Choice Preferred (POS) & OCI Direct (HMO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - Mamsi Life & Health (Indem./PPO)
- AETNA - Aetna Worker's Compensation Network
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry Health Care National Network PPO
- CAREFIRST - Blue Choice Advantage & Healthy Blue (HMO, POS)
- PRIVATE HEALTHCARE SYSTEMS, INC. (PHCS) - Private Health Care Systems (PHCS) (PPO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Options (PPO) (includes Empire PPO, GEHA, Compass Rose)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - OneNet PPO, Inc.
Contact Us by Phone
Our providers are available to diagnose and treat a wide range of orthopedic and sports medicine injuries. To request an appointment by phone, please call (855) 788-6464. , Monday-Friday, 8a.m. to 6p.m.
If this is an emergency, please call 911 immediately for assistance.
Your privacy is important to us. All information you provide is 100% confidential.