Oliver O. Tannous, MD
Oliver Tannous, MD, is an orthopaedic spine surgeon at MedStar Washington Hospital Center. As a spine specialist, he utilizes state-of-the-art, minimally invasive and motion preservation techniques to treat conditions of the bones, discs, and nerves of the neck and back.
His clinical focus includes disorders of the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine, ranging from isolated disc herniation to complex deformities and failed surgeries. His research interests include optimizing patient outcomes after surgery and improving techniques for eliminating postoperative spinal infections.
Dr. Tannous completed his undergraduate studies in neuroscience and behavioral biology at Emory University. He then received his medical degree from the University of Maryland School of Medicine, where he completed a residency in orthopaedic surgery. Prior to joining MedStar, he completed a fellowship in spine surgery at the University of California San Diego, a leading center for minimally invasive and complex spine surgery. His early interests in mechanics and how things are built, coupled with a degree in neuroscience, fueled his decision to become an orthopaedic spine specialist.
Dr. Tannous takes a conservative approach to spine care. He emphasizes the use of non-operative treatments before considering surgery. When surgery becomes necessary, he utilizes minimally invasive techniques in order to reduce the impact of surgery. He has extensive experience in revision spine procedures as well as correcting previously failed spine surgeries.
Philosophy of Care
“Becoming involved in the care of someone’s health is a privilege. I treat all of my patients in the same way that I would treat my family members – with compassion and respect.
When nonoperative methods fail and surgery becomes necessary, I spend a lot of time with my patients, ensuring that they fully understand the surgical process. I follow them very closely while they are in the hospital, and guide them throughout the recovery process so they can get back to a healthier life as soon as possible. I feel proud when my patients tell me that they would recommend me to their family members for care.”
- Medical School University of Maryland School of Medicine - 2010
- Residency Program University of Maryland Medical Center - 2015
- Fellowship Program University of California San Diego - 2016
InsuranceInsurance Plans Accepted
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - OneNet PPO, Inc.
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Options (PPO) (includes Empire PPO, GEHA, Compass Rose)
- PRIVATE HEALTHCARE SYSTEMS, INC. (PHCS) - Private Health Care Systems (PHCS) (PPO)
- CAREFIRST - Blue Choice Advantage & Healthy Blue (HMO, POS)
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry Health Care National Network PPO
- AETNA - Aetna Worker's Compensation Network
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - Mamsi Life & Health (Indem./PPO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - Optimum Choice Preferred (POS) & OCI Direct (HMO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - M.D. IPA Preferred (POS)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - M.D. IPA (HMO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Student Resources
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Choice Plus
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Select Plus (POS)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Select HMO - EPO/NPP
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Core Essential (HMO)
- MEDSTAR MEDICARE CHOICE - MedStar Medicare Choice
- MEDSTAR SELECT - MedStar Select (MedStar Associates' Plan)
- MEDSTAR FAMILY CHOICE - MedStar Family Choice - Maryland Health Choice
- TRICARE - Tricare for Life (Medicare Supplemental Plan)
- TRICARE - Tricare Extra (Indemnity)
- TRICARE - Tricare Standard
- TRICARE - Tricare Prime
- FIRST HEALTH (NOW COVENTRY) - FIRST HEALTH
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - First Health PPO
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry of Delaware HMO/PPO
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry Health Care of Virginia
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA Indemnity
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - Great-West Healthcare POS/CIGNA
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA POS/Network POS
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA HMO & Network (HMO)
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS (NCA) Indemnity
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Maryland Indemnity or PPO
- CAREFIRST - HealthyBlue PPO
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Federal Employee Program (Std. & Basic PPO)
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Maryland Point of Service Plan (MPOS)
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Blue Choice Opt Out Plus Open Access (POS)
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS BlueChoice HMO
- AETNA - Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO Plans
- AETNA - Innovation Health: Indemnity
- AETNA - Innovation Health: PPO
- AETNA - Aetna Student Health Insurance
- AETNA - Innovation Health: POS Plus
- AETNA - Innovation Health: Open Network Only Plus
- AETNA - Aetna USAccess (POS)
- AETNA - Aetna Quality Point of Service (POS)
- AETNA - Aetna Elect Choice/ EPO (Aetna Health Fund) Innovation Health: Network Only Plus
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Compass (HMO)
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - POS OA & OA Plus
- AETNA - Open EPO Plus
- AETNA - Open POS II
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - Choice Fund PPO
- AETNA - Aetna Innovations: HMO & EPO Plus
Contact Us by Phone
Our providers are available to diagnose and treat a wide range of orthopedic and sports medicine injuries. To request an appointment by phone, please call (855) 788-6464. , Monday-Friday, 8a.m. to 6p.m.
If this is an emergency, please call 911 immediately for assistance.
Your privacy is important to us. All information you provide is 100% confidential.