James Ryan Macdonell, IV, MD
James Ryan Macdonell, MD is a board-certified orthopaedic surgeon specializing in hip and knee replacement and revision joint replacement. He serves as the Chief of Total Joint Surgery at Medstar Montgomery Medical Center where he performs hundreds of joint replacements each year.
Dr. Macdonell graduated from the University of Notre Dame and earned his medical degree from Georgetown University School of Medicine. He completed his residency at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital. Dr. Macdonell completed a fellowship in Adult Reconstruction with the University of Virginia Department of Orthopaedics where he received specialized training in minimally invasive direct anterior total hip replacement, mini posterior total hip replacement, revision hip and knee replacement, and computer navigated total knee replacement.
He is the author of numerous peer-reviewed journal articles and has presented original research on total joint replacement at regional, national, and international meetings. He is a member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons.
Dr. Macdonell aims to continually improve the care provided at Montgomery Medical Center by instituting rapid recovery total joint protocols to help patients get back to fulfilling, active lifestyles after surgery. He also incorporates the latest research and technology into surgical and recovery practices.
Originally from New Jersey, Dr. Macdonell is a proficient Spanish speaker and is eager to become part of the Montgomery County community with his wife and young daughter, Rose.
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, Orthopaedic Surgery
- Fellowship Program University of Virginia School of Medicine - 2016
- Internship Program MedStar Georgetown University Hospital - 2011
- Medical School Georgetown University School of Medicine - 2010
- Residency Program MedStar Georgetown University Hospital - 2015
Meet Dr. Ryan Macdonell - MedStar Montgomery Medical Center
InsuranceInsurance Plans Accepted
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - OneNet PPO, Inc.
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Options (PPO) (includes Empire PPO, GEHA, Compass Rose)
- PRIVATE HEALTHCARE SYSTEMS, INC. (PHCS) - Private Health Care Systems (PHCS) (PPO)
- CAREFIRST - Blue Choice Advantage & Healthy Blue (HMO, POS)
- AETNA - Aetna Elect Choice/ EPO (Aetna Health Fund) Innovation Health: Network Only Plus
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - First Health PPO
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - Optimum Choice Preferred (POS) & OCI Direct (HMO)
- FIRST HEALTH (NOW COVENTRY) - FIRST HEALTH
- AETNA - Innovation Health: PPO
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry Health Care National Network PPO
- AETNA - Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO Plans
- AETNA - Open EPO Plus
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - Great-West Healthcare POS/CIGNA
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Federal Employee Program (Std. & Basic PPO)
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA HMO & Network (HMO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Core Essential (HMO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Select Plus (POS)
- MEDSTAR FAMILY CHOICE - MedStar Family Choice - Maryland Health Choice
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Compass (HMO)
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry Health Care of Virginia
- CAREFIRST - HealthyBlue PPO
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Maryland Point of Service Plan (MPOS)
- TRICARE - Tricare for Life (Medicare Supplemental Plan)
- MEDSTAR MEDICARE CHOICE - MedStar Medicare Choice
- AETNA - Aetna USAccess (POS)
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Maryland Indemnity or PPO
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Student Resources
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry of Delaware HMO/PPO
- AETNA - Open POS II
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA POS/Network POS
- AETNA - Innovation Health: POS Plus
- AETNA - Aetna Worker's Compensation Network
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - Choice Fund PPO
- TRICARE - Tricare Prime
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - M.D. IPA (HMO)
- TRICARE - Tricare Extra (Indemnity)
- AETNA - Aetna Student Health Insurance
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA Indemnity
- MEDSTAR SELECT - MedStar Select (MedStar Associates' Plan)
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - POS OA & OA Plus
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - Mamsi Life & Health (Indem./PPO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Choice Plus
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS BlueChoice HMO
- TRICARE - Tricare Standard
- AETNA - Aetna Innovations: HMO & EPO Plus
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS (NCA) Indemnity
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - M.D. IPA Preferred (POS)
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Blue Choice Opt Out Plus Open Access (POS)
- AETNA - Innovation Health: Open Network Only Plus
- AETNA - Innovation Health: Indemnity
- AETNA - Aetna Quality Point of Service (POS)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Select HMO - EPO/NPP
Contact Us by Phone
Our providers are available to diagnose and treat a wide range of orthopedic and sports medicine injuries. To request an appointment by phone, please call (855) 788-6464. , Monday-Friday, 8a.m. to 6p.m.
If this is an emergency, please call 911 immediately for assistance.
Your privacy is important to us. All information you provide is 100% confidential.