David M. Hampton, MD
David Hampton, MD, is an orthopaedic trauma surgeon at MedStar Washington Hospital Center. As an orthopaedic traumatologist, Dr. Hampton specializes in the diagnosis, analysis, and treatment of fractures of the upper and lower extremities as well as fractures of the joints, including pelvic and acetabular fractures, and infections or deformities that can arise as a result of a traumatic injury.
Dr. Hampton’s treatment methods involve evaluating each fracture alongside the needs of each individual patient. No fracture is the same and the correct treatment plan for any life-altering injury will evaluate the goals for the patient and how best to meet those goals. In the case of surgery, Dr. Hampton focuses on attaining early range of motion with a focus on achieving a functional outcome for patients. His clinical interests include pelvic fractures, acetabular fractures, non-union fractures, and arthroplasty.
Dr. Hampton received his medical degree from Georgetown University School of Medicine before completing a five-year residency in orthopaedic surgery at the Albert Einstein Medical Center, where he served as Chief Resident. He then joined Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, California for a specialty fellowship in orthopaedic trauma. Prior to joining MedStar, Dr. Hampton worked at the Rothman Institute in Philadelphia.
MedStar Washington Hospital Center is the Washington, DC region’s referral center for mass trauma and multiple trauma incidents. Dr. Hampton is passionate about treating more patients with high acuity complex fractures in addition to exploring cutting-edge technologies for the treatment of complex fractures. He hopes to bring these technologies to MedStar Washington Hospital Center to offer advanced treatment options for patients with traumatic injuries.
Dr. Hampton is accepting referral patients for all orthopaedic issues relating to trauma, nonunions, and deformities, ranging from the most simple, to the most complex cases. When not in the trauma center, Dr. Hampton enjoys being outdoors. He is an avid hiker, mountain climber, and amateur photographer who enjoys backpacking through America’s national parks.
Philosophy of Care
“I’m confident in my ability as a surgeon and I do what’s right for my patients. My goal, as an orthopaedic trauma surgeon, is to help my patients regain range of motion and function in order to maintain the highest quality of life possible after a life-altering injury. In order to do so, I work with the individual to come up with a treatment plan that best fits their needs, whether its operative or non-operative care.”
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, Orthopaedic Surgery
- Medical School Georgetown University School of Medicine - 2010
- Fellowship Program Cedars-Sinai Medical Center - 2016
- Residency Program Albert Einstein Medical Center - 2015
InsuranceInsurance Plans Accepted
- TRICARE - Tricare Prime
- CAREFIRST - HealthyBlue PPO
- AETNA - Aetna Innovations: HMO & EPO Plus
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Select Plus (POS)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Core Essential (HMO)
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Maryland Indemnity or PPO
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - Mamsi Life & Health (Indem./PPO)
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Maryland Point of Service Plan (MPOS)
- TRICARE - Tricare Extra (Indemnity)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - OneNet PPO, Inc.
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Federal Employee Program (Std. & Basic PPO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Student Resources
- FIRST HEALTH (NOW COVENTRY) - FIRST HEALTH
- AETNA - Aetna Elect Choice/ EPO (Aetna Health Fund) Innovation Health: Network Only Plus
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - Choice Fund PPO
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Choice Plus
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS (NCA) Indemnity
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - Great-West Healthcare POS/CIGNA
- AETNA - Innovation Health: PPO
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry of Delaware HMO/PPO
- AETNA - Aetna Worker's Compensation Network
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - M.D. IPA Preferred (POS)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Select HMO - EPO/NPP
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - First Health PPO
- AETNA - Open POS II
- AETNA - Aetna USAccess (POS)
- MEDSTAR SELECT - MedStar Select (MedStar Associates' Plan)
- MEDSTAR FAMILY CHOICE - MedStar Family Choice - Maryland Health Choice
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - POS OA & OA Plus
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Blue Choice Opt Out Plus Open Access (POS)
- AETNA - Aetna Quality Point of Service (POS)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Compass (HMO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - Optimum Choice Preferred (POS) & OCI Direct (HMO)
- TRICARE - Tricare Standard
- TRICARE - Tricare for Life (Medicare Supplemental Plan)
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA HMO & Network (HMO)
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA Indemnity
- AETNA - Innovation Health: Indemnity
- AETNA - Aetna Student Health Insurance
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS BlueChoice HMO
- PRIVATE HEALTHCARE SYSTEMS, INC. (PHCS) - Private Health Care Systems (PHCS) (PPO)
- AETNA - Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO Plans
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry Health Care National Network PPO
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry Health Care of Virginia
- AETNA - Innovation Health: POS Plus
- CAREFIRST - Blue Choice Advantage & Healthy Blue (HMO, POS)
- AETNA - Innovation Health: Open Network Only Plus
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA POS/Network POS
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Options (PPO) (includes Empire PPO, GEHA, Compass Rose)
- AETNA - Open EPO Plus
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - M.D. IPA (HMO)
- MEDSTAR MEDICARE CHOICE - MedStar Medicare Choice
Contact Us by Phone
Our providers are available to diagnose and treat a wide range of orthopedic and sports medicine injuries. To request an appointment by phone, please call (855) 788-6464. , Monday-Friday, 8a.m. to 6p.m.
If this is an emergency, please call 911 immediately for assistance.
Your privacy is important to us. All information you provide is 100% confidential.