David M. Hampton, MD
David Hampton, MD, is an orthopaedic trauma surgeon at MedStar Washington Hospital Center. As an orthopaedic traumatologist, Dr. Hampton specializes in the diagnosis, analysis, and treatment of fractures of the upper and lower extremities as well as fractures of the joints, including pelvic and acetabular fractures, and infections or deformities that can arise as a result of a traumatic injury.
Dr. Hampton’s treatment methods involve evaluating each fracture alongside the needs of each individual patient. No fracture is the same and the correct treatment plan for any life-altering injury will evaluate the goals for the patient and how best to meet those goals. In the case of surgery, Dr. Hampton focuses on attaining early range of motion with a focus on achieving a functional outcome for patients. His clinical interests include pelvic fractures, acetabular fractures, non-union fractures, and arthroplasty.
Dr. Hampton received his medical degree from Georgetown University School of Medicine before completing a five-year residency in orthopaedic surgery at the Albert Einstein Medical Center, where he served as Chief Resident. He then joined Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, California for a specialty fellowship in orthopaedic trauma. Prior to joining MedStar, Dr. Hampton worked at the Rothman Institute in Philadelphia.
MedStar Washington Hospital Center is the Washington, DC region’s referral center for mass trauma and multiple trauma incidents. Dr. Hampton is passionate about treating more patients with high acuity complex fractures in addition to exploring cutting-edge technologies for the treatment of complex fractures. He hopes to bring these technologies to MedStar Washington Hospital Center to offer advanced treatment options for patients with traumatic injuries.
Dr. Hampton is accepting referral patients for all orthopaedic issues relating to trauma, nonunions, and deformities, ranging from the most simple, to the most complex cases. When not in the trauma center, Dr. Hampton enjoys being outdoors. He is an avid hiker, mountain climber, and amateur photographer who enjoys backpacking through America’s national parks.
Philosophy of Care
“I’m confident in my ability as a surgeon and I do what’s right for my patients. My goal, as an orthopaedic trauma surgeon, is to help my patients regain range of motion and function in order to maintain the highest quality of life possible after a life-altering injury. In order to do so, I work with the individual to come up with a treatment plan that best fits their needs, whether its operative or non-operative care.”
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, Orthopaedic Surgery
- Medical School Georgetown University School of Medicine - 2010
- Fellowship Program Cedars-Sinai Medical Center - 2016
- Residency Program Albert Einstein Medical Center - 2015
- Medical School Georgetown University - 2010
MedStar Health Providers participate with a wide range of health insurance products. We accept self-pay patients and the insurances plans listed below. This list is not comprehensive, it is updated periodically and is subject to change. If you do not see your health insurance plan or product listed, or if you have any questions regarding MedStar Health’s participation with your health plan, please contact your health plan to verify participation with our providers.
Since the MedStar Health providers span the District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia regions, our participation with DC, Maryland and Virginia Medical Assistance programs varies by provider group. Please contact your MedStar Physician’s Office to assist with verifying Medical Assistance participation. If you are enrolled in a Medicaid Managed Care Organization, please contact your Medicaid health plan to verify participation.Insurance Plans Accepted
- AETNA - Aetna Innovations: HMO & EPO Plus
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - Choice Fund PPO
- AETNA - Open POS II
- AETNA - Open EPO Plus
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - POS OA & OA Plus
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Compass (HMO)
- AETNA - Aetna Elect Choice/ EPO (Aetna Health Fund) Innovation Health: Network Only Plus
- AETNA - Aetna Quality Point of Service (POS)
- AETNA - Aetna USAccess (POS)
- AETNA - Innovation Health: Open Network Only Plus
- AETNA - Innovation Health: POS Plus
- AETNA - Aetna Student Health Insurance
- AETNA - Innovation Health: PPO
- AETNA - Innovation Health: Indemnity
- AETNA - Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO Plans
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS BlueChoice HMO
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Blue Choice Opt Out Plus Open Access (POS)
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Maryland Point of Service Plan (MPOS)
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Federal Employee Program (Std. & Basic PPO)
- CAREFIRST - HealthyBlue PPO
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Maryland Indemnity or PPO
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS (NCA) Indemnity
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA HMO & Network (HMO)
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA POS/Network POS
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - Great-West Healthcare POS/CIGNA
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA Indemnity
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry Health Care of Virginia
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry of Delaware HMO/PPO
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - First Health PPO
- FIRST HEALTH (NOW COVENTRY) - FIRST HEALTH
- TRICARE - Tricare Prime
- TRICARE - Tricare Standard
- TRICARE - Tricare Extra (Indemnity)
- TRICARE - Tricare for Life (Medicare Supplemental Plan)
- MEDSTAR FAMILY CHOICE - MedStar Family Choice - Maryland Health Choice
- MEDSTAR SELECT - MedStar Select (MedStar Associates' Plan)
- MEDSTAR MEDICARE CHOICE - MedStar Medicare Choice
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Core Essential (HMO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Select HMO - EPO/NPP
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Select Plus (POS)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Choice Plus
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Student Resources
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - M.D. IPA (HMO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - M.D. IPA Preferred (POS)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - Optimum Choice Preferred (POS) & OCI Direct (HMO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - Mamsi Life & Health (Indem./PPO)
- AETNA - Aetna Worker's Compensation Network
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry Health Care National Network PPO
- CAREFIRST - Blue Choice Advantage & Healthy Blue (HMO, POS)
- PRIVATE HEALTHCARE SYSTEMS, INC. (PHCS) - Private Health Care Systems (PHCS) (PPO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Options (PPO) (includes Empire PPO, GEHA, Compass Rose)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - OneNet PPO, Inc.
Contact Us by Phone
Our providers are available to diagnose and treat a wide range of orthopedic and sports medicine injuries. To request an appointment by phone, please call (855) 788-6464. , Monday-Friday, 8a.m. to 6p.m.
If this is an emergency, please call 911 immediately for assistance.
Your privacy is important to us. All information you provide is 100% confidential.