Brent Bowie Wiesel, MD
Brent B. Wiesel, MD, is board certified in orthopaedic surgery and specializes in shoulder and elbow surgery for adolescents and adults. In addition to traditional open surgery, he has expertise in the latest techniques including minimally invasive arthroscopic surgery and reverse shoulder replacement.
Dr. Wiesel is chief of the shoulder service at the MedStar Georgetown Orthopaedic Institute, and he performs surgery at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital.
Dr. Wiesel developed his interest in shoulder disorders after injuring his shoulder preparing for the 1996 Olympics as a member of the USA Canoe/Kayak whitewater slalom team. His injury and subsequent two surgeries prevented him from competing in the Olympics, but he returned to the sport recreationally and went on to medical school and residency at the University of Pennsylvania. He had additional training in shoulder and elbow surgery at the Rothman Institute in Philadelphia.
As part of the shoulder service team, Dr. Wiesel is also involved in research on advancing treatment for shoulder and elbow disorders.
Read more about Dr. Wiesel’s background and accomplishments.
Dr. Wiesel’s Treatments:
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, Orthopaedic Surgery
- Internship Program University of Pennsylvania Hospital - 2003
- Fellowship Program Thomas Jefferson University Hospital - 2008
- Medical School University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine - 1998
- Residency Program University of Pennsylvania Hospitals - 2007
Shoulder & Elbow Surgery: Ask Dr. Brent Wiesel
Rotator Cuff Repair: Betsy Bassan's Story
Shoulder Information Session with Dr. Brent Wiesel
InsuranceInsurance Plans Accepted
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - OneNet PPO, Inc.
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Options (PPO) (includes Empire PPO, GEHA, Compass Rose)
- PRIVATE HEALTHCARE SYSTEMS, INC. (PHCS) - Private Health Care Systems (PHCS) (PPO)
- CAREFIRST - Blue Choice Advantage & Healthy Blue (HMO, POS)
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS (NCA) Indemnity
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Select HMO - EPO/NPP
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - POS OA & OA Plus
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA Indemnity
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA HMO & Network (HMO)
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry Health Care of Virginia
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry Health Care National Network PPO
- AETNA - Innovation Health: PPO
- AETNA - Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO Plans
- AETNA - Aetna Innovations: HMO & EPO Plus
- CAREFIRST - HealthyBlue PPO
- AETNA - Aetna USAccess (POS)
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - Great-West Healthcare POS/CIGNA
- MEDSTAR FAMILY CHOICE - MedStar Family Choice - Maryland Health Choice
- AETNA - Innovation Health: Open Network Only Plus
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - Choice Fund PPO
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Blue Choice Opt Out Plus Open Access (POS)
- FIRST HEALTH (NOW COVENTRY) - FIRST HEALTH
- AETNA - Innovation Health: Indemnity
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Maryland Indemnity or PPO
- TRICARE - Tricare Prime
- MEDSTAR MEDICARE CHOICE - MedStar Medicare Choice
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS BlueChoice HMO
- AETNA - Aetna Worker's Compensation Network
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Federal Employee Program (Std. & Basic PPO)
- TRICARE - Tricare Extra (Indemnity)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Core Essential (HMO)
- MEDSTAR SELECT - MedStar Select (MedStar Associates' Plan)
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Maryland Point of Service Plan (MPOS)
- AETNA - Aetna Elect Choice/ EPO (Aetna Health Fund) Innovation Health: Network Only Plus
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - Mamsi Life & Health (Indem./PPO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Choice Plus
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Compass (HMO)
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry of Delaware HMO/PPO
- AETNA - Open EPO Plus
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - First Health PPO
- AETNA - Innovation Health: POS Plus
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - M.D. IPA (HMO)
- AETNA - Aetna Quality Point of Service (POS)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Select Plus (POS)
- TRICARE - Tricare Standard
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA POS/Network POS
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Student Resources
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - Optimum Choice Preferred (POS) & OCI Direct (HMO)
- AETNA - Aetna Student Health Insurance
- TRICARE - Tricare for Life (Medicare Supplemental Plan)
- AETNA - Open POS II
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - M.D. IPA Preferred (POS)
Contact Us by Phone
Our providers are available to diagnose and treat a wide range of orthopedic and sports medicine injuries. To request an appointment by phone, please call (855) 788-6464. , Monday-Friday, 8a.m. to 6p.m.
If this is an emergency, please call 911 immediately for assistance.
Your privacy is important to us. All information you provide is 100% confidential.