Ahamefula E. Onyike, MD
Dr. Aham Onyike, a member of the MedStar Orthopaedic Institute, is a board certified, fellowship trained orthopedic surgeon who specializes in hip and knee replacement. His areas of special expertise include complex joint problems, hip and knee replacement revision, sickle cell-related joint problems, avascular necrosis and other presentations in young people.
His approach to treating patients focuses on tailoring treatment and providing the best evidence-based care for each patient’s specific problem. He listens carefully to all of his patients so he can understand how their orthopedic problems affect them and involves them in choosing the treatment path that offers the best proven option to achieve the best outcome.
Dr. Onyike has presented at U.S. and international conferences and is widely published in peer-reviewed orthopedic journals. He is also a reviewer for Clinical Orthopedics and Related Research.
In addition to treating patients, Dr. Onyike is very involved with humanitarian work. He founded and leads a non-profit foundation, Operation Stand-Walk-Run. They have also established 2 hospitals in Nigeria (Center for Advanced Specialty Surgery). Through the foundation and hospitals, he and his team have undertaken a number of medical missions to Africa, where he has provided state-of-the-art orthopedic care to children and adults with various orthopaedic afflictions. In 2019, he was named a Humanitarian Award winner by the Healthcare Corporation of America for this work.
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, Orthopaedic Surgery
- Fellowship Program Virginia Commonwealth University - 2005
- Internship/Residency Howard University Hospital - 2004
- Medical School Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School - 1999
MedStar Health Providers participate with a wide range of health insurance products. We accept self-pay patients and the insurances plans listed below. This list is not comprehensive, it is updated periodically and is subject to change. If you do not see your health insurance plan or product listed, or if you have any questions regarding MedStar Health’s participation with your health plan, please contact your health plan to verify participation with our providers.
Since the MedStar Health providers span the District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia regions, our participation with DC, Maryland and Virginia Medical Assistance programs varies by provider group. Please contact your MedStar Physician’s Office to assist with verifying Medical Assistance participation. If you are enrolled in a Medicaid Managed Care Organization, please contact your Medicaid health plan to verify participation.Insurance Plans Accepted
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - Mamsi Life & Health (Indem./PPO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - OneNet PPO, Inc.
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - Optimum Choice Preferred (POS) & OCI Direct (HMO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - M.D. IPA Preferred (POS)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - M.D. IPA (HMO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Student Resources
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Options (PPO) (includes Empire PPO, GEHA, Compass Rose)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Choice Plus
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Select Plus (POS)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Select HMO - EPO/NPP
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Core Essential (HMO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Compass (HMO)
- TRICARE - Tricare for Life (Medicare Supplemental Plan)
- TRICARE - Tricare Extra (Indemnity)
- TRICARE - Tricare Standard
- TRICARE - Tricare Prime
- PRIVATE HEALTHCARE SYSTEMS, INC. (PHCS) - Private Health Care Systems (PHCS) (PPO)
- MEDSTAR SELECT - MedStar Select (MedStar Associates' Plan)
- MEDSTAR MEDICARE CHOICE - MedStar Medicare Choice
- MEDSTAR FAMILY CHOICE - MedStar Family Choice - Maryland Health Choice
- FIRST HEALTH (NOW COVENTRY) - FIRST HEALTH
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry Health Care National Network PPO
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - First Health PPO
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry of Delaware HMO/PPO
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry Health Care of Virginia
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA Indemnity
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - Great-West Healthcare POS/CIGNA
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA POS/Network POS
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA HMO & Network (HMO)
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - POS OA & OA Plus
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - Choice Fund PPO
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS (NCA) Indemnity
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Maryland Indemnity or PPO
- CAREFIRST - HealthyBlue PPO
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Federal Employee Program (Std. & Basic PPO)
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Maryland Point of Service Plan (MPOS)
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Blue Choice Opt Out Plus Open Access (POS)
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS BlueChoice HMO
- CAREFIRST - Blue Choice Advantage & Healthy Blue (HMO, POS)
- AETNA - Aetna Worker's Compensation Network
- AETNA - Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO Plans
- AETNA - Innovation Health: Indemnity
- AETNA - Innovation Health: PPO
- AETNA - Aetna Student Health Insurance
- AETNA - Innovation Health: POS Plus
- AETNA - Innovation Health: Open Network Only Plus
- AETNA - Aetna USAccess (POS)
- AETNA - Aetna Quality Point of Service (POS)
- AETNA - Aetna Elect Choice/ EPO (Aetna Health Fund) Innovation Health: Network Only Plus
- AETNA - Open EPO Plus
- AETNA - Open POS II
- AETNA - Aetna Innovations: HMO & EPO Plus
Contact Us by Phone
Our providers are available to diagnose and treat a wide range of orthopedic and sports medicine injuries. To request an appointment by phone, please call (855) 788-6464. , Monday-Friday, 8a.m. to 6p.m.
If this is an emergency, please call 911 immediately for assistance.
Your privacy is important to us. All information you provide is 100% confidential.