Knee injuries and knee pain are common among athletes, from football players to basketball players. At MedStar Orthopaedic Institute, our experienced surgeons provide high-quality care using physical therapy and other conservative treatment options as well as advanced knee surgeries, when necessary. Our team performs thousands of surgeries each year, and we pride ourselves on offering the least invasive options to allow you to recover quickly from surgery and return to your active life faster. Our specialists will always encourage non-surgical options when possible and recommend surgery only when necessary.
What are the causes?
This type of pain is a symptom of a wide range of sports injuries. Some injuries that result in pain include:
How is it diagnosed?
If you experience pain that is severe or recurring, it is important to speak with a specialist. MedStar Orthopaedic Institute is home to experts in a wide range of knee conditions with years of experience. Your initial exam with one of our physicians will likely include the following:
- Medical history evaluation – Your physician will discuss your medical history with you and any relevant prior knee problems.
- Physical exam – Your doctor will evaluate the affected knee and may ask you questions about where you are feeling pain or discomfort or when the pain first began.
- Imaging tests – Your orthopedist will also likely conduct imaging studies to rule out bone fractures and accurately diagnose your knee condition.
What are the best treatment options?
If you are experiencing a knee injury or pain that is mild, one or more of the following conservative treatment options may be recommended:
- Ice to decrease swelling
- Pain medications
- Avoiding activities that cause pain in the knee
- Anti-inflammatory medications to reduce swelling
- Physical therapy
If conservative treatments are unsuccessful, or if your condition is severe or recurring, our physicians at MedStar Orthopaedic Institute may recommend one of the following treatment options:
- Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction
- Arthroscopic meniscus repair and transplantation
- Cartilage restoration surgery
If you are suffering from sports-related knee pain, call 202-295-0511 to schedule a consultation with one of our orthopedic specialists at MedStar Orthopaedic Institute. Our doctors have years of experience diagnosing and treating a wide range of hip and knee conditions and are pleased to offer comprehensive care in the Washington, D.C. area.