Knee pain and knee injuries are common and can occur for a variety of reasons. At MedStar Orthopaedic Institute, our experienced doctors provide high-quality diagnostic testing and treatment options for knee pain. This often includes physical therapy and other conservative treatment options but may include advanced surgery in some cases. Our team performs thousands of surgeries each year, and we pride ourselves on offering the least invasive options to allow you to recover quickly from surgery and return to your everyday life faster. Our specialists will always encourage non-surgical options when possible and recommend surgery only when needed.
What are the causes?
It can be a symptom of a variety of injuries and diseases, which can affect both women and men of any age. The most common problems include:
- ACL injuries
- Meniscus injuries
- Osteoarthritis of the knee
- Loosening of the knee prosthesis
- Articular cartilage damage in the knee
How is it diagnosed?
If you experience pain that is severe or recurring, it is important to speak with a specialist. MedStar Orthopaedic Institute is home to experts in a wide range of knee conditions who have years of experience diagnosing and treating them. Your initial exam with one of our physicians will likely include the following:
- Medical history evaluation – Your physician will discuss your medical history with you and any relevant prior knee problems.
- Physical exam – Your doctor will evaluate the affected knee and may ask you questions about where you are feeling pain or discomfort or when the pain first began.
- Imaging tests – Your orthopedist will also likely conduct imaging studies to rule out bone fractures and accurately diagnose your condition.
What are the best treatment options?
If you are experiencing pain that is mild, one or more of the following conservative treatment options may be recommended:
- Ice to decrease swelling
- Pain medications
- Avoiding activities that cause pain in the knee
- Anti-inflammatory medications to reduce swelling
- Physical therapy
If conservative treatments for knee pain are unsuccessful or if your condition is severe or recurring, our physicians at MedStar Orthopaedic Institute may recommend one of the following options:
- Total knee arthroplasty
- Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction
- Arthroscopic meniscus repair
- Cartilage restoration surgery
If you are suffering from knee pain, call 202-295-0511 to schedule a consultation with one of our orthopedic specialists at MedStar Orthopaedic Institute. Our doctors have years of experience diagnosing and treating a wide range of hip and knee conditions and are pleased to offer comprehensive care in the Washington, D.C. area.