Hip injuries and pain are common among athletes, from runners to basketball players. At MedStar Orthopaedic Institute, our experienced surgeons provide high-quality care for hip joint pain and injuries, using physical therapy and other conservative treatment options as well as advanced surgeries, when necessary. Our team performs thousands of surgeries each year, and we pride ourselves on offering the least invasive options to allow our patients to recover quickly from surgery and return to their active lives faster. Our specialists will always encourage non-surgical options when possible and recommend surgery only when needed.
What are the causes?
It can be caused by a variety of hip conditions and injuries, many of which occur as the result of playing a sport. The most common injuries that result in hip pain include:
- Acetabular labral tears
- Hip impingement syndrome
- CAM lesions
- Muscle strains
- Stress fractures
How is it diagnosed?
If you experience hip pain that is severe or does not go away, it is important to speak with a specialist. MedStar Orthopaedic Institute is home to experts in a wide range of hip conditions who have years of experience diagnosing and treating pain. Your initial exam with one of our physicians will likely include the following:
- Medical history evaluation – Your physician will discuss your medical history with you and any relevant prior hip problems.
- Physical exam – Your doctor will evaluate the affected hip and may ask you questions about where you are feeling pain or discomfort or how the injury first occurred.
- Imaging tests – Your orthopedist will also likely conduct imaging studies to rule out bone fractures and accurately diagnose your condition.
What are the best treatment options?
If you are experiencing a sports hip injury or pain that is mild, one or more of the following conservative treatment options may be recommended:
- Ice to decrease swelling
- Pain medications
- Avoiding activities that cause pain or pressure on the hip
- Anti-inflammatory medications to reduce swelling
- Physical therapy
If conservative treatments are unsuccessful, or if your hip condition is severe or recurring, our physicians at MedStar Orthopaedic Institute may recommend hip arthroscopy.
If you are suffering from sports-related hip pain, call 202-295-0511 to schedule a consultation with one of our orthopedic specialists at MedStar Orthopaedic Institute. Our doctors have years of experience diagnosing and treating hip and knee conditions and are pleased to offer comprehensive care in the Washington, D.C. area.