Elbow injuries and elbow pain are common among athletes, from pitchers to swimmers. At MedStar Orthopaedic Institute, our experienced elbow surgeons provide high-quality care for elbow pain and injuries, using physical therapy and other conservative treatment options as well as advanced elbow surgeries, when necessary. Our team performs thousands of surgeries each year, and we pride ourselves on offering the least invasive options to allow our patients to recover quickly from surgery and return to their active lives faster. Our specialists will always encourage non-surgical options when possible and recommend surgery only when needed.
What causes sports-related elbow pain?
Elbow pain is a symptom of a number of different elbow injuries, many of which occur as the result of playing a sport. Some of the most common injuries that result in elbow pain include:
How is a sports-related elbow injury diagnosed?
If you experience elbow pain that is severe or does not go away, it is important to speak with a specialist. MedStar Orthopaedic Institute is home to experts in a wide range of elbow conditions who have years of experience diagnosing and treating sports elbow injuries. Your initial exam with one of our physicians will likely include the following:
- Medical history evaluation – Your physician will discuss your medical history with you and any relevant prior elbow problems.
- Physical exam – Your doctor will evaluate the affected elbow and may ask you questions about where you are feeling pain or discomfort or how the injury first occurred.
- Imaging tests – Your orthopedist will also likely conduct imaging studies to rule out bone fractures and accurately diagnose your elbow condition.
What are the best sports-related elbow injury treatment options?
If you are experiencing a sports-related elbow joint injury or pain that is mild, one or more of the following conservative treatment options may be recommended:
- Ice to decrease swelling
- Pain medications
- Avoiding activities that cause pain in the elbow
- Anti-inflammatory medications to reduce swelling
- Physical therapy
If conservative treatments for elbow pain are unsuccessful, or if your condition is severe or recurring, our physicians at MedStar Orthopaedic Institute may recommend one of the following treatment options:
If you believe you may be suffering from an elbow sports injury, call 202-295-0511 to schedule a consultation with one of our orthopedic specialists at MedStar Orthopaedic Institute. Our doctors have years of experience diagnosing and treating elbow conditions and are pleased to offer comprehensive elbow injury care in the Washington, D.C. area.