Lumbar Disc Disease Care
At MedStar Orthopaedic Institute, our experienced spine surgeons perform thousands of surgeries each year, including those that correct spinal issues associated with lumbar disc disease. We pride ourselves on offering the least invasive surgical options to allow you to recover quickly from surgery and return to your regular life faster. Our surgeons take the time to explain your unique condition and walk you through your treatment from beginning to end. Our specialists will always encourage non-surgical options when possible and only recommend degenerative disc disease surgery when necessary.
What is lumbar disc disease?
Lumbar degenerative disc disease, also known as degenerative disc disease (DDD) or degenerative bone disease, is a term that describes the natural changes that occur in your spinal discs as you age. These soft, compressible spinal discs are found between each vertebra (spinal bone) and allow your back to bend and twist. Over time, the lumbar spinal discs lose fluid and elasticity, which can lead to cracking, herniation, and lower back pain.
What causes lumbar disc disease?
Lumbar disc disease is caused by age-related changes that occur in your spinal discs, including:
- Loss of fluid in the spinal discs
- Small cracks or rips in the outer layer of the spinal discs
What are the symptoms of lumbar disc disease?
It is important to visit an orthopedic specialist for an evaluation if you suspect you are suffering from lumbar disc disease. While symptoms will vary from person to person, the most common indicators of DDD include:
- Back pain
- Limited ability to perform normal activities or sports
- Pain when bending over
- Pain in the buttock or legs
- Pain when reaching up
- Pain when twisting
How is lumbar disc disease diagnosed?
MedStar Orthopaedic Institute is home to experts in a wide range of spinal conditions who have years of experience diagnosing and treating lumbar DDD. Your initial exam will likely include the following:
- Medical history evaluation – Your physician will discuss your medical history with you and any relevant prior medical problems.
- Physical exam – Your doctor will evaluate your lower back and may ask you questions about where you are feeling pain or discomfort.
- Imaging tests – Your orthopedist will also likely conduct imaging studies to rule out other conditions and accurately diagnose your back condition.
What are the best degenerative disc disease treatment options?
Discomfort from degenerative disc disease can be treated using conservative options, including:
- Avoiding activities that cause pain
- Pain or anti-inflammatory medication
- Physical therapy
- Exercise therapy
- Minimally invasive spine surgery
- Motion-sparing surgery
- Thoracic and lumbar fusion
- Thoracic and lumbar decompression
If you believe you may be suffering from lumbar disc disease, call 202-295-0511 to schedule a consultation with one of our orthopedic specialists at MedStar Orthopaedic Institute. Our doctors have years of experience diagnosing and treating spinal conditions and are pleased to offer comprehensive spine care in the Washington, D.C. area.